5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Automatic transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:12 PM
5pntslow

Default Automatic transmission problem

I just recently changed my transmission fluid in my car and now when i'm driving and slowing down it starts to shake like crazy or if i'm stopped at a stop sign it makes all kinds of rattle noise. i have no clue what happened. if anyone can help me out thanks.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic transmission problem

This started happening right after you changed the fluid? There are a few thing to double check before you get to worried. First recheck that you have it full and that you used the right kind of fluid. If those are right did you change the filter? Make sure that the old gasket that fits on the neck of the filter came out. These things get suck up there and can cause the trans to suck up air. If thats right then you might have to drop the pan again and recheck everything. Make sure the new filter is in all the way.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:48 AM
5pntslow

yeah thats what i thought at first about the filter that i didn't have it in all the way. but when i redid everything i made sure i put everything together right. i'm wondering if it takes awhile for the fluid to work around the transmission cause i tested it right after and haven't drove it since. also i put the lucas transmission fluid with it this time to see if that helped.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:15 AM
5pntslow

got a question though, how many quarts does it take to fill the tranny?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Chris C
2nd Gear Member

If the filter is good and there is no double gasket up there then it sounds like its low. After you did the change did you check the fluid with the car running and in park? Also because you have to add fluid to the dipstick tube its easy to get false readings right after adding fluid. Start it up wipe the dipstick and check it again now to see if its low. Low fluid can cause the shaking you are feeling. If thats good then you got me stumped because not much else goes wrong when changing trans fluid. You used lucas transmission fluid but what kind? dextron/mercon, type-f, mercon5? How many quarts it take depends on what you did. If the only fluid you changed is what was in the pan I would guess 3ish quarts. Thats only a guess because its been a number of years since I have changed it on an AOD. It would ofcourse take more if you took off the cooler lines and let that drain also. If all that is good then I would redo everything one more time just to be sure. Who knows there could be a small crack in the filter neck that you did not see.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:29 PM
5pntslow

yeah i just dropped the pan, but i know for sure more than 3 quarts came out.

oh and i used merconIII