5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

porting stock heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 03:03 AM
88mustanglx
2nd Gear Member

Default porting stock heads

j/w off hand, if i were to do it all myself with a dremmel and crap how hard is it? I mean i can pick up heads off any mustang at the junkyard pretty cheap to practice on. How much money would it cost me with parts and crap if i ported them myself. Also how much do stock ported and polished heads for a 5.0 mustang usually sell for? Also how long does it usually take to port them yourselves, and what parts would i need for it?
Old 05-15-2005, 03:21 AM
onemean66stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: porting stock heads

just thought i should drop a line even though i have a 66 with a 289, my father just did my heads, its a lot of time and work. i have ran my motor yet but, the bits and grinder ran lil over a hundred bucks. standard abrasives has a good porting an polishing kit, becareful not to exceed maximum rpm on bits or they with not last as long. also becarefuls of the valve seats
Old 05-15-2005, 03:33 AM
88mustanglx
2nd Gear Member

well to tell you the truth i was thinking about porting some stock heads and selling them for some extra cash flow on the side, but im not sure how that would go. thats why i was wondering how much they would sell for?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:34 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

well the be truthful here....alot of people won't buy iron heads than have been ported unless you have a flow chart on them......it's much cheaper just to buy some 'p' heads than to spend 100.00 on some carbon burrs,etc......but a pair would be fun to learn on that's what I did years ago......but let me add this you can buy a set on under cut valve that will increase flow 7-10% and reduce valve wt... a yes,yes, thing.....most folks are going the aluminum route because of the wieght and flow number not to mention a cooler engine and the wow factor
Old 05-15-2005, 11:41 AM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

Porting isn't difficult as long as you stick to the basics and are more port matching then porting for flow. To properly port for flow takes years and years of understanding and testing with a flow bench to be accurate and know what works and what doesn't. Nobody wants stock heads anyways so it would be a waste to bother as the biggest part of porting is the time it takes. Now if you get some P heads at the JY and its a pick and pull like the ones in my area, you can pick them up cheap and port match them and sell them for a nice profit on Ebay. But thats all I would suggest doing without a flow bench cause you can easily mess up flow severly when you start messing with the passages and bowl area. Not to mention its real easy to hit a water passage and ruin a set of heads. Stick to port gasket matching, maybe some polishing of the cylinder area around the valves but thats somewhat of a waste on a EFI car. With a good carbide bit, some good sanding cartridges, and some practice you can gasket match a set of heads in about 2-3 hours. Last set of P's I sold on Ebay I didn't even touch, I cleaned and inspected them and sold them for $240. I picked them up for $40, so I made out well, but they are hard to find at the pick and pulls here. I have to go every week to find the good stuff as the high turn over rate and constant stripping of the cars kills me lol.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:19 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

hey birdman, if you find another set of gt40 heads I will buy them.
here in canada where I live I cant find any, and I 've checked across alberta, bc and saskatchewan.
no luck
most of the junkyards that I phoned didn't even know ford made v8 exploders.
I have the money set aside now.
well do it over ebay.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:22 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

maybe it's time for a road trip across the border
Old 05-18-2005, 11:44 AM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

it took me 8 hours ..i got some E7TE FOR SALE ready to bolt on new seals...i would show pic but had to reboot last night,,lost all pics..
Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

i have a set of GT40's on my car they were ported to my intake and they work great i wish i had AFR's but i like these too
Old 05-18-2005, 02:28 PM
birdman076
2nd Gear Member

Will do, I don't get to the JY as much these days (new baby putting a damper on all my fun). But if I run across a pair I will drop you a line. I do know of a place that has a pair but they want $150 each which is robbery IMO for used pulls. If its not a pick and pull these guys think its gold so I rarely deal with anyone other than the pick and pulls locally. If you do a google search for "barely used" auto parts it will give you a listing by state of all the JY who are barely used certified. It means you pay more for the parts but they have a national data base to locate what you want in most cases. I'll keep an eye out for you!

Quick Reply: porting stock heads