5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

couple questions about my 89 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Default couple questions about my 89 mustang

hey guys, I think this might be normal but just curious to see if this is a sign of anything possibly going out. when I start my car after its been warmed up it starts like crap, it studders for a second and then idles fine but when I start it when its had enough time to completly cool down it jumps to about 1300 rpms and then idles great. does this mean anything or is this regular? for the most part my car is stock with flows, off road h pipe, a/c delete, msd coil and CAI. my last tune up wasn't too long ago maybe a thousand miles at the most. my tune up included new cap rotor plugs and wires I didn't change any sensors so if the starting up crappy when hot isnt regular then I'm guessing its a sensor problem, I'm going to have my codes ran soon.

another thing I'm looking for advice on is I was thinking of getting a c&l mass airflow sensor. will this make any difference or are these mostly just for an easy way out of getting your ecu programmed for different injectors? also these look like from the picutres their just the housing, is this true? I was thinking of going with a cobra or lightening maf but I think their programmed for 24lb injectors.

my last question is I'm trying to find out what this is coming from, when I'm around 2000-2400 rpm in 4th gear, my car feels kinda shaky but as soon as I either shift to 5th or get above 2500 rpms in 4th it goes away. this is probably me just being paranoid but I'm not sure.

Last edited by pk222; 08-28-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:13 PM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

Ive heard of cars doing this quite often, not only mustangs. I wouldnt worry about it. And when you start it and it goes high in the rpm for a few sec then drops, from what iam told thats just the computer waiting for the o2 sensors to kick in, then once they do it goes back down. As for the mass air, i wouldnt just because i sold this dude all my efi stuff including a c&l mass air and he didnt have the chip i sold him with it all in the car yet and he put that meter on there the car would barely idle. But it was also tuned to what i had on my motor, so maybe if he gets that chip put in and tuned he might be alright. Pretty much when you buy the mass air its just the tube and you put your meter inside of it....your basically increasing the amount of air coming into your intake. Try it, if it acts up when you put it on...take it off and keep it until you can get a tune on it need be??
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

run a koer test and see if any codes are present, if non exist let it be for now
Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

ok thats what I was hoping. I heard thats what it could have been but I wanted to make sure.

thats what I was thinking on the mass airflow sensor because of the pictures. I'll probably just save up and buy other things first and eventually buy that when I need larger injectors and get one thats calibrated for the injectors I will need then unless I find a used one cheep or something like that. are the housings for the lightenings and cobras larger then the stock mustang ones? if they are then I might just try one of those and see how it goes.

I know this is off my topic but I'm just curious how did you manage below a mid 12 with your mods? I look into peoples combos a lot and see what they run so I can get an idea of what I want to end up doing and not have to buy things twice. mid 12s is what I'm shooting for and I thought I was going to have to do a stroker kit or some kind of power adder until I saw your time.

I'm planning on doing a koer test as soon as I can find somewhere that can do it.