5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starter won't disengage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
clawlan
1st Gear Member

Exclamation Starter won't disengage?

I have a '90 5.0 Fox that is having a strange issue. Every once in a while when I start it, the starter won't disengage. So when I let go of the key, it keeps trying to start the car and you get the wonderful grinding of the flywheel like when you try to start the car when its already running. Anyways, I then have to hold the brake and let off the clutch while its in gear and just kill the battery to get it to stop. Either that or take all the teeth off the flywheel. Anyways, if i let it sit for a day, recharge the battery, then it would be fine for another month or so. But it did it one more time and now totally won't disengage. Battery is dead, and as soon as you hook up some jumper cables, its trying to start.

i am thinking that its either a bad starter, or the relay that controls the starter is sticking, but i have generally found that they usually stick open, not closed. What is your thinking? Should i just suck it up and replace the starter?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:21 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Selenoid most likely. They cost @ $8.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
clawlan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FASTBLACK
Selenoid most likely. They cost @ $8.
Where can i buy? Are they easy to replace?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:34 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clawlan
Where can i buy? Are they easy to replace?
Any auto parts store. Very easy...just remember what wires/cables come off of each terminal and put it back the same.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Could also be the bendix on the starter is getting stuck.... If the starter is easy to reach, take it off, clean it thourghly with carb cleaner or electrical parts cleaner, take it to a parts store and bench test it. Sticky bendix is usually due to dirt, oil and grime build up around the gear and spring of the starter.

If that passes then look at the solenoid.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

The starter isn't exactly what you would call easy to get to. you have to jack the car up and take the right side wheel off and go through the wheel well area to get to one of the bolts. But it doesn't sound like the starter, if it was the starter i doubt it would constantly try and start the car, especially if its doing it just cause the battery is hooked up, did I hear that right? Change the selenoid befor you even think about looking at the starter. If thats not it you can always take the selenoid back, or keep it, that way you have a spare if you ever need it, $8 isn't that much of a loss.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:07 PM
clawlan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chuckles_5.0
The starter isn't exactly what you would call easy to get to. you have to jack the car up and take the right side wheel off and go through the wheel well area to get to one of the bolts. But it doesn't sound like the starter, if it was the starter i doubt it would constantly try and start the car, especially if its doing it just cause the battery is hooked up, did I hear that right? Change the selenoid befor you even think about looking at the starter. If thats not it you can always take the selenoid back, or keep it, that way you have a spare if you ever need it, $8 isn't that much of a loss.
So the solenoid that you are referring to is the 'relay' on the fender? (not something that is physically attached to the starter)? I am running buy the store after work to pick one of these up...
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

yep that.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Chuckles_5.0
Didn't know about the foxbody being such a PITA to get to the starter. Anyways, now that I know, carry on.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:28 PM
clawlan
1st Gear Member

replaced the solenoid and we are up and running! Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Starter won't disengage?