5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Condensation in engine, won't start, pissing water out exhaust pipes..

Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Well as of right now I have a few things I have to do. I did not remove the distributor, but I will take it off and advance it a tooth and see if anything happens. I did change the spark plugs to platnium after I reinstalled everything. I did take the head off so yea. I don't believe I have a cracked head because it isn't getting hot at all. I did notice that one of the lower intake bolts came out when I was trying to start and it was shooting the watery black stuff all over. I'm going to go ahead and take the valve cover back off today and check the torque on the head bolts. A friend of mine as well as myself check the torque on the head bolts so I'm just going to check for the hell of it. Hopefully leaving it over night will allow all the oil to drain back down. The only problem I can see that might be an issue was that four piston was completely flush with the sleeve when I put the heads back on so I'll have to check the lifts and probably rotate the engine. It could also be the wiring for the plugs but I highly doubt that. I'm almost 100% sure it's 1-4, front bumper to fire wall passenger side and 5-8 driver side so I doubt that could be screwed up. I'll check the distributor cap and make sure the wires are correct. Any other information help would be great, hope there are no unanswered questions. Thanks guys.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

Also, I'm trying to figure this out to today so my wife knows to buy an engine or the turbo kit while I'm out to sea for about a month. It kinda sucks having to leave this mess all jacked up but if that's what has to be then I will just say the hell with it and get a crate engine. The cheapest ones I've found have been on ebay for about 2500 but they say they are only for carb'd engines. I'm just taking a shot in the dark but I should be able to just drop my intake with my fuel rails and such on the engine after removing the carb lower intake right? Thanks guys. I'll keep checking back as often as I can while at work.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

do you have that firing order right?

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

in counter clock wise order starting from 12oclock on the dizzy
Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Kasavage
1st Gear Member

I don't know, I'll have to go through and check that. Too bad I leave tomorrow for a month, guess I'll have to figure this out then. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 AM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kasavage
I don't know, I'll have to go through and check that. Too bad I leave tomorrow for a month, guess I'll have to figure this out then. Thanks for the help.

I remember leaving projects half done...it sucks. Have a good time and be safe.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:11 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Buying junk from Summit doesn't mean it is 'right'

Did you check your pushrod length?
Were they the same length as what you removed?

What heads and cam are you running?

If the problem is with the dist. (it sounds like it is), then you are likely 180* off, not one tooth.

Dead time the motor with piston 1 at TDC of the compression stroke.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM
bruehlc
1st Gear Member

I really don't think that a headgasket would cause all 8 cylinders to NOT fire. I say the ign is a bit skewed.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bruehlc
I really don't think that a headgasket would cause all 8 cylinders to NOT fire. I say the ign is a bit skewed.
i second that. if you didn't touch the dizzy make sure your firing order is on correctly. i know it seems stupid and simple but it happens often.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:04 PM
maroon89lsc

Originally Posted by Kasavage
Well as of right now I have a few things I have to do. I did not remove the distributor, but I will take it off and advance it a tooth and see if anything happens. I did change the spark plugs to platnium after I reinstalled everything. I did take the head off so yea. I don't believe I have a cracked head because it isn't getting hot at all. I did notice that one of the lower intake bolts came out when I was trying to start and it was shooting the watery black stuff all over. I'm going to go ahead and take the valve cover back off today and check the torque on the head bolts. A friend of mine as well as myself check the torque on the head bolts so I'm just going to check for the hell of it. Hopefully leaving it over night will allow all the oil to drain back down. The only problem I can see that might be an issue was that four piston was completely flush with the sleeve when I put the heads back on so I'll have to check the lifts and probably rotate the engine. It could also be the wiring for the plugs but I highly doubt that. I'm almost 100% sure it's 1-4, front bumper to fire wall passenger side and 5-8 driver side so I doubt that could be screwed up. I'll check the distributor cap and make sure the wires are correct. Any other information help would be great, hope there are no unanswered questions. Thanks guys.
did you happen to change gaskets?this is a stupid question but ive seen people do it.