5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Snakebite01

Default HELP!!

new to the 5.0's. I came from having two cobra's.

so i need some info..

how much horse power can the block handle?

what are a good set of heads, and intake and cam to go with?

what exhaust and suspension set up is best for these cars??

these are simple questions i could find on the internet but i haven't had time to do my research so any help you give me i will really appreciate!!!

thanks all!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

your average block is going to handle 500hp (give or take 50). Some people take them past that and they perform perfect for a long time, than again I have heard of people splitting them at 450rwhp.

As for as heads/cam/intake. It depends on what you are going for and what you are looking to achieve with your car. You are going to have to do some research on your own, noone can do it for you. There are alot of things that come into play when deciding your h/c/i. They are the most important decisions you will make when it comes to building your motor, make sure that you make the right choices. There are a few companies out there that make kits such a TrickFlow, Holly and Ford Racing. Not sure about the Holly and the Ford Racing but the Trickflow will net you about 280rwhp with all supporting mods (maf sensor, throttle body, pullies, etc.) if it were me though I would put together my own kit. If I had the cash I would absolutely go with a custom ground cam (after everything else is done of coarse), a set of TF, canfield, afr heads and a holly systemax, etc. intake. Like I said, it all depends on what you are looking for though. We need more detail.

Same goes for suspension. There is a big difference if you have $500 bucks to spend on suspension or if you have 3K. You cannot just sign up for a web forum and expect to get a parts list handed to you and have it be perfect for what YOU want and what YOU are looking for. If you are on a budget there are a few companies out there such as UPR, BBK, etc. which make decent quality products for a good price. If you want to spend alot of cash you can go with Maximum Motorsports... just remember you get what you pay for.... this goes for ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING with cars. You can go as far as just doing shocks/struts/springs, etc. to a full tubular setup with a three link rear setup.

Let us know what exactally you what from your car and what you plan on doing with it. Also, a budget would be nice to include.

Last edited by 88BlueGT; 09-15-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

450 to 500 to be safe and afr, canfields ect ect are all good heads as for intake and cam make a thread about each and see what others have and what works for them