5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

CAI filter size & relevance

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Default CAI filter size & relevance

Ok, this is like the third CAI thread i've made about separate things... is it just me or does it seem like there are so many uncertainties with CAI systems? Between the material, performance gains, brand reliability, etc.

Anyways, I know I am going to get a CAI. I am going to get this one at AmericanMuscle.com for $69.99. It has a smaller filter than BBK and MAC intakes.. does this matter much? I have the understanding that the filter size is the main performance gainer about CAI's, is this true?

Here is the difference in pictures

AM CAI filter

BBK CAI filter

Old 09-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

bump.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Some people say that there isn't a reason for a cold air on fox's except for a filter change. The bigger filter will help bc more air can flow thru them and we all know our cars like having alot of air. Hense one reason the air silencer is removed. If you run the smaller filter you are putting in a restriction compared to the bigger one. The other thing you will have to consider is the chrome plating. The cheaper one will probably start looking like crap after awhile. My brother had the BBK on his 92 for years and it looked great everytime he took the time to clean his engine bay.
I personally wouldn't go with anything but name brands. They usually perform,fit, and look better.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

thank you project.

Do you think going with a JLT cai would skew my MAF readings? It looks like it sits very close to the filter and I was told the closer it is, the more of a chance for false readings

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 AM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Some people say that there isn't a reason for a cold air on fox's except for a filter change. The bigger filter will help bc more air can flow thru them and we all know our cars like having alot of air. Hense one reason the air silencer is removed. If you run the smaller filter you are putting in a restriction compared to the bigger one. The other thing you will have to consider is the chrome plating. The cheaper one will probably start looking like crap after awhile. My brother had the BBK on his 92 for years and it looked great everytime he took the time to clean his engine bay.
I personally wouldn't go with anything but name brands. They usually perform,fit, and look better.
I second the above. Name brand, 95% of the time, is the way to go for aggrevation free fit and finish.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

I gotta admit.. i never clean under the hood and the BBK piping still shines like the day i got it.

The filter fell off one night after some "spirited" driving.. so now i just put the filter on the MAF sensor.. no difference
Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

As long as your MAF matches your injectors you will be fine.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Ok, another question... anyone have personal experience of BBK vs MAC?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:25 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Both are quality pieces. I put a BBK on my 98 sixer and it is great. The coupler to the throttle body was bigger than the stock one but it tightened up enough to seal good. I just wouldn't get the mac one that has the filter in the engine bay do to engine bay heat. I haven't seen any comparisions between the fender one and engine bay setup but its a personal preference to me.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:04 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

My take on filter size. Makes no difference. The amount of air flow is determined mainly by the diameter/size of the intake tube. It won't accept any more flow no matter how large the filter is as long as it's at least the size of the inlet opening. After that, size doesn't matter.

I converted the BBK I have to work in conjuction w/ my blower. quality stuff. It was worth what I spent for it.

Quick Reply: CAI filter size & relevance