5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

turn signals took a dump

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 03:01 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Default turn signals took a dump

on the way home from school today i noticed i have no turn signals anymore. when i hit the lever for left or right, none of the lights outside the car come on and neither of those two little lights on the gauge cluster lit up. i then tried my hazard lights. all four (front and back) lights went on just fine and so did both the lights on the gauge cluster. i havent done any work on my car for a few weeks so i didnt damage anything by accident lately. one thing though, a couple days ago i noticed my left turn signal was blinking slightly faster then the right. dont know if that has anything to do with it but thought id mention it. anyways, what do i do? i have no idea where to begin. is there a fuse i can check? any ideas?

thanks guys
Old 05-19-2005, 03:30 AM
philthy89fifty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: turn signals took a dump

check the fuse if its not there it could be your multi function switch our the flasher under the dash
Old 05-19-2005, 03:33 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

where is the fuse, under the dash right? where is the multifunction switch and what does it look like? i dont think its the flasher cause the hazards flash with no problems.

thanks for the quick response
Old 05-19-2005, 10:00 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

try this in this order:

fuse
flasher (there are 2 one for turn and other for hazard)
multifunction switch
ignition switch (sounds wierd to say this but i had that problem and it was this switch)
Old 05-19-2005, 10:25 AM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

On my '90 the turn signal flasher is way up under the dash, just to the right of center. The one in the fusebox that's easy to get to is for the 4-ways. Your mention of the flash going fast just before they stopped makes me suspect the flasher. But I definitely agree with checking the fuse 1st, just because it's so much easier to get to.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:07 AM
hawkwitastang

if it was the fuse I wouldn't think the turn signals would flash if you turned them on for your 4-ways, cause its the same lights and they draw power from the same place just through a different flasher unit
Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

so there is two flashers? ragtop, can you be a little more specific on where and what im looking for? ill check all the fuses inder the dash by the door

what does the flasher in the fuse box look like? is it that round silver thing?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:15 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

The signal flasher IS NOT the one plugged in behind the fuse panel. Mine was under the dash. There is a little panel directly below the steering colum, remove it. Look to the left inside. Mine was attached there. It was round green plastic. If its aftermarket it may be silver.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Same thing happened to me, It sounds like the switch or lever on side of steiring collumn, just go to nearest junk yard and replace it.
First started with me turn signals then it was my headlight so its important u get it fixed you dont want your lights to go off in the middle of the road like mine.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:46 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

so there is two flashers? ragtop, can you be a little more specific on where and what im looking for? ill check all the fuses inder the dash by the door
Yes there are two flashers. You'll have to lay down in the floorboard and look up under the dash. It's probably attached by a clip to part of the structure underneath. You'll have to pull on it to get it out.

You may also find this thread helpful https://mustangforums.com/m_461731/m...Csignal/tm.htm

I would suggest checking it out.

Quick Reply: turn signals took a dump