5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

oil in tb??

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:02 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

Default oil in tb??

so my mustang has been on he back burner while i work on other projects but has remained my daily driver. just doing some mintence and check on a few things before a long trip and came across so problems...

the bbk cai i have, the rubber peice that connects to the tb broke, probably because i now have a 65mm tb. i was replacing it with a new one and noticed some oil kinda just pooled in there, not really in the throttle body but collecting in the rubber peice between the tb and the air tube...what would cause this.

After noticing it i replaced the PCV as a first guess, ill have to see if it occurs again, anything else i should look at.

Also, how often to the bearings in the ac condensor go, never use the AC but i think its starting to rattle more then it used to.

Thanks for any and all help

(its an 89 5.0 Maf, w/ t5 and typhoon upper and lower intake)
Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

im no genious, but i think that the tube that connects to the throttle housing and the oil pour shaft is the reason your seeing this oil. that tube sucks excess air our the valve covers as well as alittle bit of oil to lubricate the throttle body butterfly. it looks like crap i know, so i deleted it. i put those real small filters on the throttle body and on the oil spout. hope this was helpful.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:16 AM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

oh i just now seen the other problems with your car that you stated. the turbo whine, is probably air air leak around your throttle body or the upper to lower intake manifold, take some brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner while the car is running and spray it around where the gaskets are and see if quits whining and the idle should pick up alittle. the cluth tick sounds like a throwout bearing, i had an 88 model with a tremec tko600 in it and it done that and i had to replace the throw out bearing. second gear problem, soounds like a syncronizer. easy fix for second gear. the paint, id just buff it all over and give it a good wax if the paint is still waxable, if not have it painted, lol. the exhaust leak, theres only two ways to fix that, new gaskets or new exhaust. the timing is the same way, one way to fix, adjust it. as for the ac, cant help you with that. i took the ac off both my car as soon as i pulled them into the drive way.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

lol thanks....nd those problems arent the recent, i brought an old bronco and a beach buggy ive spent all my money on in the past few months...

throughout bearing is anew suggestion, ill look into that
illtry the carb cleaner trick but i think thats unlikley b/c it was there before and after the intake swap
2nd gear works fine now, just sometimes when its real cold.

if there was excess pressure in the crankcase would the oil tend to go through that tube and into the tb, and if so would the new pcv valve fix that?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

t5 is a turbo? The PCV line that runs from the valve cover to the intake does relieve excess pressure as well as serves a smog purpose (burns excess hydrocarbons/oil) by running through the combustion chamber again. If you have turbo, then you have more than the usual amount of pressure in your valve covers and simply replacing the PCV may not help. What you need is a different valve cover with a different Baffle plate. The Baffle is what helps to keep oil from blowing by the PCV into the intake by acting as a seperator. Most OEM valve covers have a real crappy Baffle (a couple of thin metal plates) that don't do much. Aftermarkets usually have a tight mesh + plates that work way better.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:31 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

t5's my transmission,

i was saying that y car whines like it has a turbo,lol

no i wish i had that kinda money
Old 09-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ohhh okay :-) Anyways, I'm still thinkin the BEST option is to get a new valve cover or modify yours to do a better job of seperating the oil form teh air before it gets to the PCV valve.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

well wait, shouldnt it be the pcv valve that serpperates the oil before it makes it there
Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

No. The PCV valve is just a check valve. It simply keeps the valve cover from sucking air in from the manifold (negative pressure). Thus the name PCV (Positive crankcase ventilation) It does not serve any type of "seperation" duty.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:00 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

my worry is that with 120k on the motor without any rebuild, i might be getting some serious blow by occuring, she's still quick but not as much as she used to be

would disconnecting the tb to oil fill hose be a terrible idea, just plug them at each end?

its a prof. products 65 mm tb if that helps any

Quick Reply: oil in tb??