5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

88 running rich

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Malakilla

Default 88 running rich

Howdy, I am working on a friend 1988 LX with 5.0 HO swap.
He bought the car from a lady whos boyfriend built the car. There is no possible contact with the builder so he is not a source of any info at this point.
Car was a 2.3 n/a originally. I wish I had better info on the car to provide.

Car runs, however it is running mighty rich at this point. So far I have been fighting all the poor ground issues and just installed all new cables, battery and found the '03 Mustang alternator used was DOA.

As I did not not install the motor, nor am I a Mustang nut, I am rather at a loss. I'd rather goto the experts in the car and ask a stupid question that keep looking for the problem in all the wrong areas.

Symptoms are black smoke, fouled plugs, really bad MPG, lack of hp, and loping idle. I get unburned fuel igniting in the exhaust system causing a nasty popping sound.

I've installed a new alt, battery, distributor cap, wires, coil, PCV, and other non-performance parts.

I have checked for vacuum leak, and even removed the upper intake manifold and looked for leaks at that point.

Owner is considering going carby to simplfy things, but I'd prefer to fix the car as it is now.
Is there a few things I should check out first? Or can anyone link me to relevant threads on the issue that I may be able to check out. Any info you need, please ask and I'll do my best to provide it.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Is it throwing any codes?

Does it have new 02's? How about an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Malakilla

The person who installed the motor did not get the dash working right. Almost nothing on the dashboard reads correctly. So sorry no codes. to get checked out.
I will look into the O2 sensor(s) though.
I may screw in my wideband and plug it in and see what it tells me. It will just take a few hours to get it out my car and wire it all in on his.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Is it possible that it's an '89, or an '88 from California? That would explain why nothing on the dash works correctly.

However, you don't need the dash to work for it to throw codes. '88's don't have a check engine light anyway.

You need to run a KOEO and a KOER test.

Hang on...Let me find the link instead of explaining how to do it.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Here. I couldn't find it here, but the Corral had the info.

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenan...-koeokoer.html

Give that a whirl. Also, what computer did he put in the car, and is there a MAF on the car?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:04 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/214165-running-rich-by-mattdel.html
Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Malakilla

No it does not have a MAF. I have no idea what year this motor is from.
I'll look into trying to check for codes. I don't own a reader though. We will see what we can find out though.

I have no clue as to which computer was used. I "presume" it was from a complete donor HO car.

I hate dealing with other peoples projects. After my XR4ti, I kinda gave up on Fords for a while.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

This sounds like a mess. Someone swapped a 5.0, and went to Speed Density? Who does that?

You don't need a reader for the codes. The link I gave you will show you how to do with with a volt meter. It's really simple.

Also, just for ****s and giggles. Pull the passenger side kick panel off, and see what computer is in it. Maybe it's a mass air computer...Which would explain a lot of the crap you're dealing with.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Malakilla

Ok. If I get over to the car later today I'll take a look.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

check Gap on Spark PLugs...

Quick Reply: 88 running rich