5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New here...possibly seeking turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:09 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

go to turbomustangs.com they have a LOT of information on turbos, look at hellion, B&G turbos, and pony down performance. Make sure you stay away from hp performance. They get a lot of hype in the magazines but all you will hear is negative stuff about them, there is a couple people i have seen who have waited 6+ months, and still have stuff missing out of htere kits.
it can be done for cheaper
Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 AM
schuman

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
not to dis the OP but how many people on this forum can you say would honestly be able to do what you are talking about?

2% maybe 3% if you ask me.
well maybe because i have close to 15k sitting in a seperate bank account, and my close friend`s father owns valley performance of NJ. I`m not looking for huge gains right away, im just aiming to hit 400 on the stock block on a conservative tune, and from what i`ve read so far, it seems very possible, however im still taking my time until i find a decently clean notch
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by schuman
well maybe because i have close to 15k sitting in a seperate bank account, and my close friend`s father owns valley performance of NJ. I`m not looking for huge gains right away, im just aiming to hit 400 on the stock block on a conservative tune, and from what i`ve read so far, it seems very possible, however im still taking my time until i find a decently clean notch

funny thing about the internet, nobody knows anything about what you do/have in your personal life. most everyone in here doesnt have 15k sitting in a seperate account to build a car. all i was saying most people on here if they had the funds to build a turbo stang lookin for 500+ will spend over 10k on the build alone.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:10 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
not to dis the OP but how many people on this forum can you say would honestly be able to do what you are talking about?

2% maybe 3% if you ask me.
That would be the same as me asking you how many people research parts before putting them on. No offense to anyone on this forum, but most people don't look into things before doing them. Most will look at a magazine article & see... hey.. these heads got top in the head shootout, then automatically assume that they will offer the most on their engine. Same with most internet forums, most people will ask questions & assume that everyone knows what they're talking about.

If I was looking to build a 600hp car, I wouldn't be taking advise from the people that have 300 or 400hp cars, sure I would not it, but I wouldn't go on it. I would be asking the people that have got 600hp. You have some people on here that say that the 4 cylinder t5 wont work on the 5.0 because it's too weak, coincidentally the people that say that haven't ran one. Then you have a couple people that have ran one & have had zero problems. There's one guy on here that made lots of passes with a 4 banger t5, then swapped for the t5z & it failed on him shortly after. I personally have ran quite a few 12 second passes on one & it still shifted fine with no noises. All the same, some people go out & spend lots & lots of money on an aftermarket auto for a 5.0 & don't realize there's already multiple sitting at a junkyard that are capable of holding 700hp with a couple cheap modifications & are a direct bolt on. If I can go out & buy one for $50 & spend $300, then be good to 700hp then compare it to a guy that went out & bought a brand new built transmission for $2k, I'd say he either just doesn't research or would rather have brand new parts that are name brand. I've been building turbo & s/c kits for quite a few years & people still try to tell me that I can't do something when I already have. I have some people that tell me I can't build a good turbo kit for under $3k when i've built one kit; a twin kit, for one car for just under $800 because the guy wanted cheap & it worked perfect @ 12psi for 2 years before the guy sold it.

So if it's that 2-3% that can do it, then props for them for looking into it & knowing what they're doing. I'm not saying anyone is stupid, i'm saying some people look into it & research things before they spend money on them instead of trusting someones word on something or listening to a biased opinion.

I could even give you a link to a guy that runs low 6's reliably in the 1/8th with his twin turbo mustang on almost completely junkyard parts.

Last edited by FoxGT; 09-30-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:19 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

+700 billion!

trying to keep things consistant in the economy

foxGT, im 100% agreeing with you. most people dont research, i'll admit i DEFF! started out as one of those ooOOoooo looky the magazine! but only after 2-3 mods i really started to understand it takes more than a call to summit to make things all better. i've done lots of j/y runs for quality parts. hell my HCI is just a hair over a grand right now and i should be hittin a ~12's this coming up spring.(this info is based on similar builds)

so you really hit the nail on the head
Old 09-30-2008, 03:05 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Your not going to need a H/C/I if you do a turbo setup. Obviously, your going to produce alot more power but any decent turbo setup with light supporting mods (tb, exhaust, intake, etc.) are going to put you right at the safe limits of the block (especially pushing 12psi). Im talking about going with a reliable well known kit here too no cheap ebay sh*t.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 AM
schuman

i see.. well I've talked to the owner of valley performance, and he gave me some options and recommended me the single turbo stage 2 kit from pony down performance... any feedback on this?