5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

anybody know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 PM
bottle baby

Default anybody know?

i went out to time my car because its acting funny. i looked down at the pully and their was the line as usual. then i relized their were no markings on which to properly time it. their was only this hole. now ive timed dozens of cars but its the first time i ever seen this. do you just time it to where the line is in the middle of the hole or what? i have no clue lol. i might sound like a dumass but im stumped.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:09 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

if your talking about the lines marking the numbers..there under there ..just needs to be cleaned up real good...now if you have a lot of miles on the car..might be worth just getting a new balancer...what were your "acting funny" problems...but a nice new balancer is only about 70 bucks and will come with the marks nice and clear.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

timing marks there...you might have to spin the balancer around & use some 600 grit sandpaper.....
Old 09-29-2008, 07:14 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Next time can you post a smaller picture!! The hole is for a magnetic timing probe.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM
bottle baby

the acting funny im talking about is when the car is hot it acts like the battery is dead. but battery and alternator are both good. so somebody on here said to make sure the timing is where its supposed to be. other then that i dont know what it could be.
and about the big *** picture, im not very computer literate. so just being able to put the picture on here is a feat in itsself lol.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by bottle baby
the acting funny im talking about is when the car is hot it acts like the battery is dead. but battery and alternator are both good. so somebody on here said to make sure the timing is where its supposed to be. other then that i dont know what it could be.
and about the big *** picture, im not very computer literate. so just being able to put the picture on here is a feat in itsself lol.
sounds like you have a slow cranking issue upon heat soak??, does it crank at all or really slow?? if so, you either have a bad starter or bad connections in the wires going to the starter or high resistance in the wire it self going to the starter, you'd need to perform a voltage drop test at all connection / transition points in the power and ground wires for the starter circuit, but my guess is if all connections are tights and clean , it has a bad starter

Last edited by mjr46; 09-30-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

possible ICM?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:50 PM
bottle baby

it cranks really slow then eventually not at all. the posotive wire from the battery is a little karoded. well actually quite a bit. i would think the starter is still good because it starts fine when its cold, right?
icm?
Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

i'd look into new batt terminals. did the marks show up on the balancer after you sanded them? And do you have underdrive pullies? cause my alternator is underdriven and it effects my volts
Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
varam03
1st Gear Member

sand the balancer and then use the point on the right hand side of the pointer(to the right of the hole) to set timing...always worked for me...the hole isnt for setting timing...sand it down and then get chaulk or something to see the marks on the pulley itself