5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

picked up a 95 cobra.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:28 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Default picked up a 95 cobra.

hey guys, I picked up a 95 cobra last night and its in pritty good condition other than brakes. the brakes squeal from about start-40 and then about 20 ft before actually stopping I can feel the pedal kick back about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and it can be felt throught the car. I'm thinking this is a warped or bent rotor but I looked at them and they look fine so I'm not really sure. any ideas on how I can find the problem?

thanks in advance
Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

deff new pads, probably a good idea to get your rotors turned. if they cant be turned anymore i'd invest an extra 50 bucks and get slotted and cross drilled rotors on all 4 corners.

if there is any slop in the pedal pressure try bleeding your breaks as well.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:13 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

don't have to go the extra mile for the sloted or crossdrilled. If it's gonna be a daily than stock rotors would be fine. I'd think that the sloted/drilled rotors would wear the pads down faster personaly.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:16 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

cheaper than new rotors

stays nicer longer, better braking, looks better

but im only suggeting that in the instance...
1) he can afford it
2) only if he has to replace them in the first place.

only suggesting for an upgrade, everyone appreciates better breaking. nothing wrong with increasing your safety, right?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

i agree, they improve braking, help disipate brake dust, and hell, they look ten times better than those old stockers. if i had disk brakes all around id put them on mine, but im too cheap tp put brakes on my car right now, got bigger problems. lol.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:40 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i know i will when time comes for new ones. im not afraid to fork out a little extra for piece of mind personally.

hell, i did it on my brother in law sunfire and he absolutely loves his car now. its just a feeling of control you have.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to SVT team...just go out and get some OEM rotors & brake pads...post some pics
Old 10-01-2008, 02:58 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

thanks for all your replys.

I looked in better light and found I really need pads and I already have slotted and drilled rotors but on the driver front rotor has a small score in it, should I replace the front rotors or can they be turned? I dont really want to get new ones because I can't find the ones that are on the car, the inside of the rotor is painted red to match the car.

and I will post pics as soon as I can find out how to lol

Last edited by pk222; 10-01-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:28 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

just curious, does anyone know what the 95 svt cobras ran in the quarter stock? mine is stock other than CAI, 3.73s, and ebach springs.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

tried to smog my car the other day and it passed the emissions test but not the visual test.. My CAI is "completly illegal" the pcv hose was disconnected and they couldn't find the egr solenoid..
I found the egr solenoid and its way inside the fender. should I actually be required to relocate this? also is that the factory spot for it? I'm going to have to buy the $170 k&n cai which is basically just an airfilter with a spacer because thats the only CAI I can find that is carb legal. I called ford and they can't even get the stock one.
I reconnected the pcv hose and then started the car a couple times and it was searching for idle until it died. it did this three times and then it started fine. I just figured maybe it had been disconnected for a while and was gummed up or something but when I took it off to feel for suction and it was being sucked by the intake and the bung on the oil filler. this shouldn't be happening right? I started it today and it started fine so I guess its ok. I don't want to mess with that anymore and cause it to start that again.

Quick Reply: picked up a 95 cobra.