5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

adjusting vert windows/weatherstrip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default adjusting vert windows/weatherstrip?

its been rather rainy/generally crappy out, and with the option of keeping the mustang in the garage being gone (no garage at my townhouse) some water worked its way into the car... the pass side carpet beneath the floormats is semi damp from the last time it rained, and I pulled the floormats, but it still feels damp etc...

I noticed a small gap, enough to pass 1-3 sheets of paper through without touching between my 1/4 window and the door glass... how do you adjust the windows if possible to close up the gap? do they sell some sort of shim or do I need to fab one up?

or would new weather strip be all that is needed? mine is original and has a few cracks...

how hard on a scale of 1-10 is it to install weatherstripping?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:55 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Shelty replacing the weather stripping is your best bet for that gap. I can't say about the rear windows but the front windows have no adjustment front to back. You would be able to tilt the top in or out a bit, but I doubt that will solve your problem.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thanks Raven, I'll have to order a set from LMR... 35 bucks aint too bad...

how is it attached? any sort of glue or clips I need to get as well?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:54 PM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Not sure about how they are attached, I never replaced the ones on my 83 vert and my brothers 90 vert wasn't around long enough to need them replaced. Only reason I know what I do on the doors is I had to play a bit with the glass on the ones I bought for my notch.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thanks man, I'll have to peek at them when the sun comes up tomorrow...

cant wait I am planning to get the thing into the shop by next week...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

new weatherstripping probably wont correct the problem. you need to adjust the door latch so it closes a bit tighter.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

how do I adjust it?
Old 10-01-2008, 09:40 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the latch inside the door, has 2 bolts holding it, the bolt holes are slightly slotted. we're talkin a millimeter adjustment here, don't go crazy or you will damage something.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
the latch inside the door, has 2 bolts holding it, the bolt holes are slightly slotted. we're talkin a millimeter adjustment here, don't go crazy or you will damage something.

ok. I'll give it a try
Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
PUDman
1st Gear Member

the 1/4 windows are fully adjustable. it's not easy because when you adjust one way, you move it in another way. there's 2 bolts above and 2 below the guide bushing. then you have 2 down at the floor where the guide assy bracket mounts. before you loosen anything make some marks so you can at least go back where it was. i learned the hard way. if you like puzzles this is for you. just take your time. don't get frustrated. i would try the weatherstripping first, if that doesn't do it; i've got a ford body service manual that explains it very well. it's for an 86 but i would bet it's the same idea. e-mail me and i'll send you a copy of the section. pudman4@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: adjusting vert windows/weatherstrip?