5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

tko-500

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:05 PM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Albizo66
didn't know you guys existed americanpowertrain, just visited your website...liked what i saw, once i get into actually upgrading my notch haha i'm going to come to you guys for an upgraded tranny
Sweet! We would love to have ya! We are one of the best kept secrets in the performance transmission world, which is one of the reasons we decided to sponsor the forum and get the bloody word out. Any word of mouth from you guys would be appreciated, and no matter if you are our customer or not I will always be glad to help with manual tranny questions.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:22 PM
absolutbspec
2nd Gear Member

I didnt know you guys existed either, And everything on that site really caught my eye.

Im not so much interested in the driveshaft spacer or the crossmember but everything else i am.

I know the difference in power handling between the two but is there a major difference in shift feeling, etc.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

ive heard that the TKO's power rating is very conservative.

ill be knocking on 500 trq with nitrous, im wondering if ill be fine with a TKO500, or should i go ahead and get a TKO600?

i need to find a kit that include's everything i need for a AOD-TKO swap.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 PM
absolutbspec
2nd Gear Member

Your really jumping out there then.

Does anyone know the how the shifting feels compared to a t-5? (better obviously) and i know it depends on the clutch. Ill probably go with spec stag 2 or something. Still looking though.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default TKO Stuff

Just a couple of notes for everyone on the TKO...

The TKO500 and 600 are rated for 500 and 600ft-lbs of torque on a constant delivery basis. This mean they will live with these numbers running 24/7. Tremec has also done static torque load testing on the transmissions, in which the output shaft is fixed in place, the transmission is put in the weakest gear (overdrive) and a twisting jig is fixed to the input shaft. Both transmissions survived more than 1000ft-lbs of static torque in this test! This means that any TKO should be able to withstand a shock load of over 1000ft-lbs (26-Spline models).

Also, don't forget that the Ford TKO500 is built with either the 10-spline or 26-spline input shaft, your choice, so anyone can get the strength of the fine spline shaft with just a new clutch disc.

As for rumors of tough 2-3 shifts, there was a problem about a year ago with shift lugs that were not polished at the factory level. Tremec is a VERY reactive company, and when they heard from vendors like us that there was a sticky 2-3 shift problem, they changed the finish on the lugs and eliminated the problem. If you have one of the ones with the sticky 2-3 action we sell a polished set of lugs to replace the ones you have that will erase the issue. This is a pretty cheap fix and installation can be handled locally without a lot of hassle.

I hope this helps. Keep the questions coming and call us at 931.646.4836 or check out our website at AmericanPowertrain.com.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
absolutbspec
2nd Gear Member

Perfect. thats what i needed to hear. thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 07:20 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AmericanPowertrain
Just a couple of notes for everyone on the TKO...

The TKO500 and 600 are rated for 500 and 600ft-lbs of torque on a constant delivery basis. This mean they will live with these numbers running 24/7. Tremec has also done static torque load testing on the transmissions, in which the output shaft is fixed in place, the transmission is put in the weakest gear (overdrive) and a twisting jig is fixed to the input shaft. Both transmissions survived more than 1000ft-lbs of static torque in this test! This means that any TKO should be able to withstand a shock load of over 1000ft-lbs (26-Spline models).

Also, don't forget that the Ford TKO500 is built with either the 10-spline or 26-spline input shaft, your choice, so anyone can get the strength of the fine spline shaft with just a new clutch disc.

As for rumors of tough 2-3 shifts, there was a problem about a year ago with shift lugs that were not polished at the factory level. Tremec is a VERY reactive company, and when they heard from vendors like us that there was a sticky 2-3 shift problem, they changed the finish on the lugs and eliminated the problem. If you have one of the ones with the sticky 2-3 action we sell a polished set of lugs to replace the ones you have that will erase the issue. This is a pretty cheap fix and installation can be handled locally without a lot of hassle.

I hope this helps. Keep the questions coming and call us at 931.646.4836 or check out our website at AmericanPowertrain.com.

lot's of respect for being active, and putting the REAL info out there.

ive heard about guy's running 900hp running tko600's and beating them hard, so it make's me feel better.

can you compare a tko500 with the 26 spline, and a TKO600?

ill be putting out good power with nitrous, but on a everyday basis, it wont be stressing the transmission at all.......

im just debating whitch tranny would be best for how my car is set up.

also, do you guy's have aod to tko swap kits?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:13 AM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default Reply to 302Army

Originally Posted by 302army187
lot's of respect for being active, and putting the REAL info out there.

ive heard about guy's running 900hp running tko600's and beating them hard, so it make's me feel better.

can you compare a tko500 with the 26 spline, and a TKO600?

ill be putting out good power with nitrous, but on a everyday basis, it wont be stressing the transmission at all.......

im just debating whitch tranny would be best for how my car is set up.

also, do you guy's have aod to tko swap kits?
The TKO500 with the 26-spline input will handle just about the same load as the TKO600. The choice then comes down to gearing. The TKO500 has a 3.27 quick launch first gear and a longish drop to the 1.98 second gear. The TKO600 has a little milder 2.87 first and only drops to 1.89 in second, making it a better performer when there is plenty of engine and rear end for the job. Generally speaking, if you have a 3.73 or lower (3.89, 4.10, etc...) diff. you want to go with the TKO600 but this is by no means a univeral statement.

EVERY ENGINE, DIFF AND TRANSMISSION COMBINATION IS DIFFERENT. SPEAKING TO US ABOUT YOUR SPECIFIC APPLICATION GOES A LONG WAY to making sure you get the right gear set.

If you are just considering durability, I don't think you will ever break a TKO500.

What is your diff ratio, redline on your engine, cam profile and tire size?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 AM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

If you guys arent really in a rush to drop a new tranny in you can do what i did and wait around to find a good deal and jump on it. I puchased everything i needed for my TKO600 swap for $1500. I found a brand new TKO600 for sale for 1K, someone locally was selling a bellhousing for $100 and i ordered a clutch and slip yoke from summit for like $350 and modified the crossmember myself. On top of that i got $300 for my T5 so my total cost was around $1200. Sorry americanpowertrain not trying to rob you of any buisness im just trying to let people know you dont have to sped over 3K+ on the swap if you have a lot of time before you need it and you get a little lucky, if your T5 is about to give out your probably going to have to spend the extra $ on a kit because i think it took me about 6 months to find everything i needed at the prices i wanted to pay.

As for shifting, the TKO does seem a little more stiff to shift but im still running the stock shifter so an aftermarket one may cure it but when your speed shifting in the higher RPM's you can hardly even notice, its just durring everyday street driving that you can tell its def. not a T5
Old 10-15-2008, 12:31 PM
AmericanPowertrain
Former Sponsor

Default Robbing American Powertrain

Originally Posted by 1991LX5.0
Sorry americanpowertrain not trying to rob you of any buisness im just trying to let people know you dont have to sped over 3K+ on the swap if you have a lot of time
You are not robbing us 91LX, I am all for guys getting what they need for a reasonable buck. Unfortunately, because the TKO is an aftermarket only transmission, there are not a lot of good used ones out there to buy. They are made in very limited numbers, and as you might imagine, a lot of them have had the heck beaten out of them.

I am glad you got what you needed for a great deal and I am glad you like your TKO! Maybe we can sell you an upgraded shifter, a better cable actuator or a ProGrip clutch or flywheel sometime. Who knows, we may get some of your hard earned cash yet.

Quick Reply: tko-500