5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Decent Suspension Kits For 90' 5.0 - looking for input and advice -

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Default Decent Suspension Kits For 90' 5.0 - looking for input and advice -

Hey guys, its been a while since i have been on here. University is keeping me busy.

I have a 1990 5.0L with not to many mods.

I want to do some modern suspension upgrades this summer, but i would like to get some figures first.

Its a street car, mainly stock. I would like to get something decent because down the road i plan on rebuilding the engine. ( its pushing 230k KM'S ). Runs fantasticly though.

Anyway, can you refer me some kits or even brands that are decent in price.

And also what suspension parts i should up grade first?

I dont know much about the suspension.

Feel free to give me your wisdom and pls include links!

Thanks for your time!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Ketis
2nd Gear Member

it really depends on wither you are going to want more of a drag type suspension or more of an auto x type suspension
Old 10-06-2008, 01:11 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

^^ Not only that, it would help if you could give us a budget that you are trying to stay within. There are the main things you can do such as struts/shocks, cc plates, control arms, subframe connectors, etc. You can get deeper into it and go with a tubular k member, a arms, etc. for the front end. There are many companies out there who make decent suspension parts. I would suggest Maximum Motorsports but knowing what its like to be a college student most of the time they are out of my reach. Personally, my setup is a mix of D&D and MM (when I can afford it). I cannot complain about anything on my car, I have no problems with any of the D&D or MM products.

Like I said before, let us know a rough budget you are trying to be within and that will be allow people to make recommendations that are in your league. Everyone has a different idea of "decent" and "cheap" so just LUK.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

I unfortunately do not have a rice list or components lidt. I am clueless here guys!

Its a street car, and probaly always will be. I dont need to over due it.

All its parts are 18 years old, and squeeky. And my car is very unusualy high? Looks like its floating. I was just going to replace the bushing this spring, and spif it up alot.

But i was curious to see what an overhaul would cost for a decent street mod.

But my budget would be low.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

-sub frames are a must and they run ~100 bucks
-upper and lower control arms and ditch the quad shocks. UPR sells a set for 200...225 if you get the bolts with it.
-some ford sport spring will lower yoru ride by about an inch and are ~180 bucks
-if you want(and you probly should at some point in time) upgrade your shocks/struts, KYB's only run ~180-200 dollars for a full set.

add it all up and you got a pretty sick handling for under 700 bucks. that doesnt include install so that'll up the cost, most of this stuff is something an amature can do. and you dont have to do suspension all in one shot. you can do sub frames on week, control arms another week. and the springs/struts/shocks the following month. and you could even split that up...do the fronts the first two week, and the rear the last two weeks. that'd help manage cost doing it that way.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:04 AM
stangoutlaw
1st Gear Member

I went with steeda adjustable rear upper control arms and granatelli adjustable lowers and love em. The steeda arms come with bushings for your rear end so that's one less thing to buy. I went adjustable because I put 18" on so they came in real handy and are very easy to adjust. Up front I just replaced the bushings in the control arms. And Koni adjustables all the way around. I'd consider myself a novice, but with some mechanical ability and did all the work myself with no problems.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
-sub frames are a must and they run ~100 bucks
-upper and lower control arms and ditch the quad shocks. UPR sells a set for 200...225 if you get the bolts with it.
-some ford sport spring will lower yoru ride by about an inch and are ~180 bucks
-if you want(and you probly should at some point in time) upgrade your shocks/struts, KYB's only run ~180-200 dollars for a full set.

add it all up and you got a pretty sick handling for under 700 bucks. that doesnt include install so that'll up the cost, most of this stuff is something an amature can do. and you dont have to do suspension all in one shot. you can do sub frames on week, control arms another week. and the springs/struts/shocks the following month. and you could even split that up...do the fronts the first two week, and the rear the last two weeks. that'd help manage cost doing it that way.
Thanks so much man! Great ideas, and 700 - 800 sounds amazing! All the installation i will be doing myself so no problem for cost there.

I was worried when i started looking and it was saying $530 for a sway bar. . and i was affarid i was getting myself way to deep.

But this is just what i am looking for, good prices for a quality product.

Just another question, where ( http://www.uprproducts.com/79-09-mus...n-upgrades.asp ) is the upper and lower control arm kit?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=225

those are the u/l both non adj. for ease of install, no adjustment needed, should land your pinion angle anywhere from 3-5* which is ideal. and there is a link for the bolt kit too. very worth the money and i suggest them.

stock sway bars are fine and i wouldnt mess with swappin those out. and you lose about 10 lbs by droppin off your quad shocks by replacing the stock control arms.

picture whoring time!!

this ran me about 1300 bucks. huge range of application(im set for drag though but if i wanted i can hit the autoX comps. and still have decent times)

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 10-06-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Once again thanks for all of your help.

So this is pretty much all i need for the swap other then the hardware?

I thought there would be more haha.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:21 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

the sweet thing about suspension is most of it is bolt in/weld in. not a lot required and not much skill(for basic stuff) and improvements are noticable right away.

...usually

doing my suspension has so far been my most favorite part of my build.

Quick Reply: Decent Suspension Kits For 90' 5.0 - looking for input and advice -