5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TURBO QQQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:59 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
i dont have alot of know-how.
but out of what ive learned, im a big fan of 1 big turbo compared to 2 little ones.
our car's do have room under the good, but if your running a intercooler, and such, your going to be pressed for room, just from a single turbo!
its not easy in the first place.
but 2 turbo's you have to double almost everything!
good luck
You're only going to be pressed for room if you get a horribly designed kit. It's very easy to fit two turbos in an engine bay with a 5.0 or even a 5.8 unless you decide to mount them somewhere exotic. Two turbos have double the oil feed lines & oil drain lines as for plumbing that depends on your setup.

Twins will spool faster because of less total rotating mass. Both will make pretty well equal power. A twin kit will have far superior header design, but it also has a bit higher backpressure. I personally don't like building single kits for rwd twin bank engines due to the crossover pipe, for one cool air is going to be going by it cooling exhaust gasses which makes them less dense so exhaust gas velocity will slow down. Another downside is thermal expansion; a crossover pipe will grown in length about 3/4-1", the block wont which puts a big stress on the crossover & can cause it to crack the pipe or the headers. This can be fixed with a flexjoint, but also takes up more room. Twin kits are far easier to build imo.
Originally Posted by mustangmike33
i like the sound of a turbo, but IMO, there to high maintenance. i mean you have to buy all these extra parts that may or may not come with the kit you buy.

and last but not least, a turbo takes a few seconds to build up enough boost to power the car, and can lose boost through alot of different screw ups. like on a pinks episode, this guy blew a waste gate gasket and lost all boost. with a charger, you dont have that problem.
Turbos aren't high maintenance, If you change your oil/oil filter/air filter on time, let the car warm up before getting on it & give a bit of cool down time before shutting it off after running it hard (which a turbo timer can do for you) then a properly built turbo system will outlast your engine.

Turbos take just as much time to build boost as centrifugal superchargers depending on your exhaust a/r. Yet again, a properly setup kit you will not have to worry about losing boost. I've only had one situation where a car with one of my kits lost boost, about 6 years ago I used hose clamps & the pressure hose blew off after switching to tbolt clamps I haven't had any problems with any.
Originally Posted by saleenpride1986
doesn't having 1 huge turbo produce a lot of turbo lag in comparison to twin/double turbo's? Have a small turbo and a larger one helps more than just a big turbo because the little one can get powered up smaller amounts of exhaust and that in turn gives you the kick before it has to charge up the bigger one, therefore giving a more consistent bang. whereas the larger turbo only has to wait for the exhaust gases to fully power it up, making turbo lag.
The problem is, if you run a smaller turbo on one side & a larger on the other you're going to be creating alot more backpressure on one side than the other. Saab aswell as another company tried this setup long ago, it performed horribly & wasn't very smooth.
Originally Posted by 302army187
depend's on how big of the turbo is.
as far as "lag" i think your psi would be coming no later then 3500rpm's.
One turbo does have a small bit more lag than twins due to heavier rotating mass. Lag can't be measured until boost threshold & it does depend on the exhaust side of your turbo. On my kits & others that i've driven/rode in they generally have about .2-.3 seconds of lag at higher rpm. At just above boost threshold my slowest one was about 1 second in 4th gear with pretty big turbo, the remedy... don't try to race someone while your in 4th or 5th gear, instead try the downshifting maneuver. As for boost threshold with a turbo, if you're worried about it think about it this way, how long does it take you in your car in 1st gear to get to 3000rpm?
Originally Posted by 88BlueGT
Lot of bad info flying around here lol. First of all, just because you have a single turbo setup does not mean that your going to have turbo "LAG". Turbo lag is a bunch of donkey sh$t that honda guys talk about. If you buy a single turbo kit from any decent company that sets you up wit the proper sizing, etc. you can bet you will have little to no lag. As far as turbo's on street cars, a properly sized turbo will make full boost very low into the rpm's and there a good chance they will make full boost before a SC will. The only thing wrong with turbo's on the street is the fact that you may not have any traction in 1st, 2nd or 3rd lol.
Turbos will have lag no matter what unless there is another source spooling the turbo. It's not something you can get rid of, you can get it to the point where it is hardly noticable, but you wont get rid of it. turbo's are spooled by exhaust gas, which means you have to get quite a bit of air/fuel into the engine in the first place, then after it has enough exhaust to spin the turbine, it has to speed it up. It doesn't automatically just jump up to speed. The lighter your turbine wheel is the faster it will spool which is why two turbos have less lag than one large.

Also there is no properly sized for any engine, There is sizing it based on where you want your power. Some people prefer their turbo to spool at lower rpm with less lag & are willing to sacrifice high end. I personally prefer turbos a little on the larger side, granted I may not see full boost until 3500-3800 rpm, i'll make more power up top than someone with a smaller turbo. Larger turbos work well with n/a cams aswell, smaller turbos do not because of the higher backpressure in the manifold/header. If your backpressure is higher than your intake pressure, you'll get reversion during valve overlap which will cause a loss in power. Some companies make turbo cams for this purpose. If you're wanting less lag or more low end power I'd suggest going with a roots or twin screw s/c, which imo are more fun to drive. I personally favor a roots/twin screw supercharged car's feel over turbo, they feel faster even though they aren't due to the instant punch.
Originally Posted by kweb288
turbos make more power then superchargers because there is no need for a belt=free hp kind of.
If you have a turbo properly sized to your combo there will be little lag in the spool up, and superchargers also have this problem
Turbo's cause a loss in power, you could see it if you went out & hooked a turbo up to your exhaust, but left the compressor disconnected.

Superchargers don't have the lag problem turbos do, even with a centrifugal, if you're turning 4k rpm and you floor it, the air & pressure is already there because the impeller of the centri is already spinning at a high rpm. If you floor it with a turbocharged car the impeller isn't spinning at a high speed. Centrifugals & turbos do share a common boost threshold point, but not lag.
Originally Posted by Derf00
A single big turbo is fine but it will cause way more turbo lag than two smaller ones. Also a two smaller turbo combo will give you a flatter TQ response accross a greater power band vs a single large one that takes forever (higher RPM) to fully spool

Example: Twin turbo Volvo and BMW cars make 90-100% torque from 1700 RPM to about 5000 RPM vs a WRX or EVO that takes up to 3500 RPM to make 100% TQ and still maxes around the same RPM.
While it will have less lag, twin & single turbos power curve is going to be near identical if both are setup properly.

Some companies use a sequential turbo setup using a smaller turbo & a larger turbo setup in parallel. All of the exhaust are routed into one, there is a gate blocking off the larger turbo so all exhaust is routed into the smaller, once it spools the gate is opened to provide gasses to the larger. This isn't as hard to do on an inline engine If you were to try this on a twin bank engine you would have to route all exhaust gasses into one pipe, then split both off into separate turbos & use a gate to control one.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:00 PM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kweb288
turbos make more power then superchargers because there is no need for a belt=free hp kind of. ALso where the hell do you see these superchargers for under 1000??????? most likely they will be junk! you get what you pay for.
If you have a turbo properly sized to your combo there will be little lag in the spool up, and superchargers also have this problem
Superchargers you can loose boost in different ways also !!!!!!!!!!!!!! bet ya didnt know that one, you could throw a belt, or blow your intake tube off, or if you are running a blow off valve you could blow that gasket off just like a turbo!
well in responce to your thread, im not trying to cause trouble cause i like you guy and your advice, but i recently bought a Vortec V1-S Trim off ebay for $970, which this price included all shipping and handling, as well as a new bearing rebuild kit and a new belt cause the other was too big for the pulley that i decided to use. i got all the hardware, the brakets, the intake elbow, the adjustable filter elbow that puts it into the fenderwell, a t-rex in-line fuel pump, FMU setup, and 4 different sized pulleys. the belt that came with it was run with a pulley that produced almost 18 lb. boost. too much for what i want. i havent installed it yet because the motor im building for it isnt complete yet. and by the way, im not running a blow off valve, and the motor in using it on i believe can handle the pressure without blowing anything off. but i do realize what you were saying, i guess im a belt driven kind of guy, but i do like turbos as well. and your right, you do get what you pay for, but i get everything i needed to fully redo mine so i got what i needed and wanted. but hey man its all good, take care!!!!