5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

HELP! MSD AND WIRES!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:21 AM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP! MSD AND WIRES!

Ok so I got home from a mid term! probably shouldn't have tried installing all this when i'm tired but i did something wrong. Ok I ordered spark plugs, ford racing wires, and MSD cap and rotor... so I installed it all when i first fire it up it's great sounds good ... but after a while when i like warms up something is weird the idle becomes really rough! like i put an aftermarket cam in it or something... and also th battery wat gauge starts jumpin around. Ok after saying all that... any ideas? could this be a bad connection on one of the spark plugs? like i didn't sink them in enough??? or something else? greatful for any suggestions!!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:46 AM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

Ok so i went back out and turned her on and let it sit for awhile and everything seems to be running smooth... the only thing is now i'm smelling a bit of gas... with the better spark plugs could i need to change up the air/fuel ratio or something? set the idle higher? maybe change up the timing? and i do have a leak in my x pipe but i dunno if that would have to do with anything... i have to wait till tomorrow to clamp that down better... any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

You can bump up the timing a bit anyway. What plugs did you put in it? What do they look like now that you have ran the car?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:45 AM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

check plugs, check timing..let us know
Old 10-08-2008, 06:57 AM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure all your plugs are tightened?

You shouldn't have to change A/F or timing with different plugs/cap/rotor.

Last edited by U S Marine; 10-08-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:18 AM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

Ok well the spark plugs are kind of white in color at the tips... And I haven't messed with the timing or anything yet! Its weird it does that loping thing but it runs fine when I give it gas... I don't know how to put pictures on here.... I could maybe take a video and put it on youtube? What you all think?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 AM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

video sounds good
Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

did you gap the plugs correctly?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:31 PM
cortlan
2nd Gear Member

ya i gapped them the same as my last plugs... I don't get it it's weird it has no consistency sometimes it's doing it and other times it's not! i'll try to get a video up on youtube tonight!

I believe i Gapped right the only thing i was iffy with was the installation of the rotor... there were no directions so i just put the rotor where the other one was??? I assume that's the way to install?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:19 PM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

yeah it sounds like youve done everything right, but just double check each plug and wire one more time, and then check the wire to the coil. maybe without noticing it could be loose. who knows, maybe where you changed the plugs it could have just been burning up the excess gas and carbon from where your old plugs left off. but check and let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: HELP! MSD AND WIRES!