5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Orifice (hehe) tube question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Default Orifice (hehe) tube question!

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone can help me solve an A/C nightmare. The symptoms: A/C has really high pressure in some part of the system (high side?). I took it to a mechanic, and he put some coolant in the system (bad valves leaked it out, will replace) and measured the pressure, told me the high side (I think) pressure was too high, and that's why it isn't cooling very efficiently. He told me that the problem is the orifice tube has a type of filter in it, and the filter is clogged, so to fix the problem, the orifice tube needed to be replaced. He told me parts and labor was going to come to like 700 bucks. I checked the parts store, and they want like 70 bucks for the part. I think that the mechanic might be trying to make me pick up the soap...

Questions:
1. Are there any other parts that need to be replaced along with the orifice tube?
2. Is this an install that I can handle (novice skill level)
3. Are there any special tools that I need?
4. Anyone want to give a shot at explaining the procedure?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:59 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

OK, if the orifice tube is clogged, it will cause the low side to be lower than normal or pull itself into a vacuum. To properly diagnose it, we would need to know the running pressures of the low and high side. You will need special tools to disconnect the connectors. Plus, if there is freon in it you will need to recover it. Honestly, you should take it to another tech and get a second opinion. This is one of those times that if you don't know what you're doing you can really make it worse.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:06 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
I think that the mechanic might be trying to make me pick up the soap...
That's funny!

Questions:
1. Are there any other parts that need to be replaced along with the orifice tube?
I would change the receiver/dryer/accumulator.

2. Is this an install that I can handle (novice skill level)
Yes/No. The part(s) replacement is/are not that complex. See next response.

3. Are there any special tools that I need?)
Other than good size wrenches and some spring type coupler disconnect tools, you need a way to evacuate the system and service the system. You would also need to get some of the appropriate oil. I can't remember if it's PAG or Ester oil.

4. Anyone want to give a shot at explaining the procedure?
I would not be the expert in this field. I'm just throwin' ya what I know, but I think I hit a good part of it.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

excessive high side pressures can be a result of a bad compressor, overcharged system, or a condesnsor that is plugged with debris or an inoperative clutch fan..ect.ect...sounds like the luba dube tech doesn't have a clue about a/c systems..lol take it to BERNIE, HE DA' MAN once again!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:16 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
excessive high side pressures can be a result of a bad compressor, overcharged system, or a condesnsor that is plugged with debris or an inoperative clutch fan..ect.ect...sounds like the luba dube tech doesn't have a clue about a/c systems..lol take it to BERNIE, HE DA' MAN once again!!!
See! I told ya I wasn't the expert. I was listening (in a round about way) to the technician you took it to.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:30 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by mjr46
LOL, that would be a looooooooooong ride.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
LOL, that would be a looooooooooong ride.
Yeah, but Maryland is nice this time of year...AND you don't need A/C either!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:43 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Maybe not in the car, But it's on in the house today. It's about 78* Friggen beautiful right now. Next few days too.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:52 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

I went to OCM last year, at this time. Great vacation. Nice state.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
OK, if the orifice tube is clogged, it will cause the low side to be lower than normal or pull itself into a vacuum. To properly diagnose it, we would need to know the running pressures of the low and high side. You will need special tools to disconnect the connectors. Plus, if there is freon in it you will need to recover it. Honestly, you should take it to another tech and get a second opinion. This is one of those times that if you don't know what you're doing you can really make it worse.
Ok, I think I'll have to fork over more cash get it retested, because it was a couple months ago, and I thought that it would be a little easier than this. The mechanic sounded like he was competent, but maybe just trying to screw me over on the price. He definitely said it was the orifice tube, and that's why I went there.

I won't be needing to evacuate the system (remember I said leaky maintenance valves?) It's R-134, so no freon. I just wanted to get a diagnosis, so the tech diagnosed it, then sucked the refrigerant back out, because it would have leaked out anyway.

Like I said, I'm not sure if he said it was the high side or the low side or what, but he told me that the orifice tube has a type of filter, and that it's clogged, causing the system to not produce much flow through the (thing that looks like a radiator), and not produce much cold air in the cabin. Does what the tech told me sound reasonable, or like bullschitt?

If it sounds reasonable, is the orifice tube replaceable by someone with novice skill level, and since there are special tools, how much are they, where do you get them, and are they difficult to use?

And if it sounds like bullschitt, anyone know a good tech in the area of North Port, FL?

Quick Reply: Orifice (hehe) tube question!