5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

batt/alt issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM
onebad88lx
1st Gear Member

that wouldnt be y after u drive it 4 abit it want start u may have possibly burnt ur starter up its a hit and miss thing take a hammer and beat on ur starter but not to hard and see if it will turn over im having probs with my igniton system too and its all brand damn new.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM
onebad88lx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LOUDexhaust
I got the alt tested before I bought this battery and it was fine.

What do you think is wrong with the cables? Think they just need to be replaced, maybe something a little thicker?
and it could still be ur alt cuz i took mine to advance today and they sed it was fine thn i took it to car quest to make sure and it was fluctuating low volts and amps!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Alternator problem IMO...had the same problem about a year ago with my daughters '91 GT...I repalced the battery first, then about 2 days later, the alternator! Everything fine after that!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

It just seems odd to me that this battery lasted 4 months if the alt was bad. But honestly I have no idea what's going on. I've been meaning to upgrade to the 3g but I don't have all my tools at school to get the job done.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
onebad88lx
1st Gear Member

understandable just get it checked allways double check everything.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:03 AM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Another thought I have...

My car used to do something that may be worth mentioning. I would turn the key to start it and it would click once and stop. I would have to turn the key back and then forward again to start the car. Could a bad solenoid prevent enough juice from getting to my starter?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:13 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

do this: crank your car up and take off the the pos. cable and if your car won't stay running then your problem is the alternator
Old 03-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LOUDexhaust
I got the alt tested before I bought this battery and it was fine.

What do you think is wrong with the cables? Think they just need to be replaced, maybe something a little thicker?
If they are pretty old, they could be corroded on the inside, causing not enough power to get to the battery. If you can see corrosion on the wire are your post things then that's a possibility.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

Well I got my alt tested again, and it passed. I think I may just replace my starter and cables. The starter from the 94-95 mustang fits and is also a bit more powerful isn't it? I might just go with that since my motor has higher than stock compression. What gauge wire should I go with? Might as well do the prep for a 3g alt while im at it.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:24 PM
LOUDexhaust
3rd Gear Member

I am now fairly certain that the issue is with heat soak in my starter. I drove 100 miles today, shut off my car, tried to start it again and nothing. Now that I think about it, every time I have had an issue it has been after a fairly lengthy drive and never at home. I will order the PA Performance mini starter in the hope that it will provide more clearance near my exhaust.

Quick Reply: batt/alt issue