5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Installed 80mm Mass Air System

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by dudeboy
You are telling the guy to create a vac leak?
Originally Posted by 15austin
Right next to the brake booster. It has about 5 vacuum spouts on it. 1 goes to the brake booster one to the intake, one is plugged off take that plug off.
Originally Posted by Boostfiend
Not tellignhim to disconnect, just telling him where the the line is. lol I thought the first guy might know what he was talking about. Ooops...
Apparently neither one of you know what you're talking about.

Def w/ dudeboy on this one!!

You are telling the guy to create a vac leak?
Yeah, I am wondering the same thing. Not only that, but an 80mm mass air is too large for a stock motor. Plus it needs the calibrated injectors to go w/ it. No wonder it runs worse. WTF mate?
Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 AM
NYMustang50
3rd Gear Member

Yea i agree with pro here.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Try running the codes using this procedure...
DIY KOEO/KOER self tests
(the scanners aren't required)

While I don't think the 80mm is really going to gain any power,
If properly 'calibrated' it shouldn't cause any problems either...
Old 10-12-2008, 09:10 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

MAC meters are actually produced by C&L.

This means a couple of parts should be checked to make sure you have the correct 'calibration' for your setup.

ECU? (pull the kick panel from the passenger side, and you should see a sticker on the ecu... A9L, A9P, A3M, A3M1 s/b on there)
Part Number on your stock MAS (s/b F1ZF-****, or similar)
Diameter of the Sample Tube, mounted inside the 80mm housing. (you will need to remove it, and measure with calipers, both the inlet and outlet ends)

With those 3 pieces of info, we can say that you have the right meter, without ANY question.

Where did you buy the MAF meter? Was it NEW?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Boostfiend
1st Gear Member

I don't claim to know what I'm talking about PRO50SC. Thats why I come here for advice.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:34 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

this is retarded, why in the hell would anyone tell someone to creat a vac leak to make it run better. more than likely your car has always ran like crap "because somewhere you have a vac leak".

my advice is that you try a stock mass air replacement if you beileve the maf is bad. heres the list to go thru:
IAC=idle air control
TPS=throttle position sensor
MAF/mass air meter
ACT= air charge temp sensor

all of these can make the car idle funny if they are out of sink.a vac leak for sure will make it run funny. intake leak too. if it was me i would replace every sensor on the car period then if that wasnt the case i would be looking to see if i had a intake leak of some kind.
but first anf formost DO NOT DISCONNECT ANY VAC LINES ! BUT CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A VAC LEAK!!!!
as far as how to check for a leak the search feature is your best bet on here or maybe someone feels like going into the specifics.
and check your fuel filter too!!
Old 10-12-2008, 02:09 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86GT 93LX
if it was me i would replace every sensor on the car period then if that wasnt the case i would be looking to see if i had a intake leak of some kind.
Whoa!!!!

You would replace all your sensors, with out checking for diagnostic codes first.
Then if that didn't work, you would start looking for a vac leak?
I hate to say it, but you'd be doing it the expensive and slow way! LOL

The ecu is designed to give you clues into what the motor is actually doing. Why not take advantage of that?
Pull the Diagnostic Codes first!
(Personally, I run codes on my cars at every oil changes, even if the car seems to be running fine. It is FREE and only take a few minutes.)

Randomly replacing sensors is a waste of money.

Checking codes and checking for vac leaks is easy and free. Why is there so much resistance to doing these 2 things?
Old 10-12-2008, 02:23 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Whoa!!!!

You would replace all your sensors, with out checking for diagnostic codes first.
Then if that didn't work, you would start looking for a vac leak?
I hate to say it, but you'd be doing it the expensive and slow way! LOL

The ecu is designed to give you clues into what the motor is actually doing. Why not take advantage of that?
Pull the Diagnostic Codes first!
(Personally, I run codes on my cars at every oil changes, even if the car seems to be running fine. It is FREE and only take a few minutes.)

Randomly replacing sensors is a waste of money.

Checking codes and checking for vac leaks is easy and free. Why is there so much resistance to doing these 2 things?
well obviously thats the route hes already taken, so if your going to throw parts at something atleast know which ones.and checking for a vac leak would be first. pulling codes is fine however when certain sensors go out of spec range it triggers another to work wrong and you can end up thinking something is bad when it is not. but since you know it all go help him, save the world by running codes and still geussing
Old 10-12-2008, 02:28 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Sorry fellas for any wrong advice I may give. Ive had my car for 11years and I know a few tricks here and there. If you give our cars a small vacuum leak in some cases it will idle better. Ive found when the idle goes from 500rpm-2000rpm that vacuum leak will sometimes fix the idle. I dont have a vacuum leak on my car now but if the idle goes bad I give it one then find the problem. i try to give the best advice I can based on my experience, but sometimes not everyone agree.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:12 AM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 15austin
Sorry fellas for any wrong advice I may give. Ive had my car for 11years and I know a few tricks here and there. If you give our cars a small vacuum leak in some cases it will idle better. Ive found when the idle goes from 500rpm-2000rpm that vacuum leak will sometimes fix the idle. I dont have a vacuum leak on my car now but if the idle goes bad I give it one then find the problem. i try to give the best advice I can based on my experience, but sometimes not everyone agree.
I understand what you're doing now... I just didn't get that you were suggesting it as a diagnostic step...

Quick Reply: Installed 80mm Mass Air System