5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Installed 80mm Mass Air System

Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 PM
89blk_gt

Default Installed 80mm Mass Air System

I have an 89 mustang GT that is pretty much stock 5.0. Its had a problem with a hunting idle for years and I thought I had tried everything...well I got a suggestion from another site suggesting I change the Mass air flow sensor as it may be bad. Anyway long story short I installed a MAC 80mm mass air system thinking I'd try one last thing...after installing it won't hardly idle, runs awful... I thought the computer would just compensate but clearly I was wrong. Any suggestions on next steps? I am out of my league on this one other then putting everything back as it was. Thanks in advance. I've been reading the forum all night and I can't seem to find exactly the same scenario, so maybe I tried something really dumb?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

What will work is on the vacuum tree that the brake booster hooks up to, there is a small spout that is plugged off. take off the plug and is should idle normal. Just something to try.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:18 PM
89blk_gt

Thanks, I'll give it a try but I am not even sure where to look for the vacuum tree, can you briefly describe it?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Right next to the brake booster. It has about 5 vacuum spouts on it. 1 goes to the brake booster one to the intake, one is plugged off take that plug off.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Boostfiend
1st Gear Member

Yep it's on the firewall right above the booster.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:26 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Time-out!

What are you telling this guy to disconnect?
If you can't NAME the part, then how would you know it should be disconnected?

Something smells fishy here...

Are you getting any diagnostic codes?
Is the MAF meter calibrated for your Injector AND ecu?
What brand is the MAF?
What ecu are you running?
What size injectors are you running?

jason
Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 15austin
Right next to the brake booster. It has about 5 vacuum spouts on it. 1 goes to the brake booster one to the intake, one is plugged off take that plug off.
You are telling the guy to create a vac leak?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Boostfiend
1st Gear Member

Not tellignhim to disconnect, just telling him where the the line is. lol I thought the first guy might know what he was talking about. Ooops...
Old 10-12-2008, 03:47 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

is the mass air meter calibrated for the injectors you are using?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 AM
89blk_gt

Thanks all...Here is what I know..the 5.0 is stock so I believe it still has the 19lb injectors, the mass air is from MAC Products Straight Shot Mass Air 80mm, they said I just take out the old put in the new and use my old sensor (which led me to believe the computer would compensate). As far as calibration, I didn't know to ask at the time, not what gets calibrated. Not sure what the 'ecu' is but should also be stock. I haven't tried checking the diagnosis codes yet as I don't have a means of checking that yet (I just installed this weekend and don't have the diag equipment - any recommendation if I should invest in the tool and what kind?). Just in case it helps, basically what it included was a new non-restrictive cone filter with air guard (chrome cover so that the air from the fan doesn't mess things up), a straight stainless steel cylinder with mount for the stock sensor and then that hooks right up to the throttle body assembly with a flexible elbow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed 80mm Mass Air System