390 in a fox body anyone? - MustangForums.com



5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #1
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
86GT 93LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,424
Default 390 in a fox body anyone?

i was thinking how everyone puts 351s and makes stroker motors and it seems played out to me.and a 460 is a bit heavy. looking for opinions on a 390 and what would be needed, pros and cons. and how do u get a built t5 behind it? im thinking of building a g force t5 but wonder about a bellhousing
86GT 93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
83ttopgt
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location:
Posts: 196
Default

as far as I know, the 390 and 460 are based around the same block, they are both "FE" motors. ford racing and a few others make conversion kits to put them into a fox
83ttopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
jtmustang
5th Gear Member
 
jtmustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: arlington,WA
Posts: 3,743
Default

390's and 460's are not the same block , i know i have built a few of them and had many more, they are not both fe motors they are quite different different stroke,rods,pistons, and the only ford motor where the pushrods go through the intake and not the head. very different and both motors are very heavy.

they make kits for them and i am sure that you would need to run a c6 or an old school 4 speed never seen a bell for a 5 speed for them.
jtmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
86GT 93LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmustang View Post
390's and 460's are not the same block , i know i have built a few of them and had many more, they are not both fe motors they are quite different different stroke,rods,pistons, and the only ford motor where the pushrods go through the intake and not the head. very different and both motors are very heavy.

they make kits for them and i am sure that you would need to run a c6 or an old school 4 speed never seen a bell for a 5 speed for them.
so are you saying the push rods go thru the intake on a 390?
as far as i know the 360 and 390 are the same block right? just different stroke
86GT 93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 816
Default

i know a 460 only weighs about 100lbs more then a 351w, so if weights the issue ud prolly loose that in aluminum heads and intake.
ponyboy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
86GT 93LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy88 View Post
i know a 460 only weighs about 100lbs more then a 351w, so if weights the issue ud prolly loose that in aluminum heads and intake.
yeah thats not too much weight :P
86GT 93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Posts: 15,042
Default

yea throw a tubular suspension on the front an cut the PS and aluminum heads... now your back down to the weight of an iron headed 302W
88BlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
86GT 93LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
yea throw a tubular suspension on the front an cut the PS and aluminum heads... now your back down to the weight of an iron headed 302W
im just wondering about efi for a 390... im not a big fan of carbs. what was the last year a 390 was used in a truck is probably the question. i really havent researched it much but my friend has a sweet 390 in a old 74 truck and it has a laot of power for only a mild cam and intake carb set up and headers
86GT 93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
1989LX
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location:
Posts: 40
Default

if i remember right the last year for a 390 in a truck was '77. they are a good hard running fast reving engine. little head work, intake, cam, and headers with good exhaust and you'll have a stout motor. if your wanting to go fuel injection check out a holley TB set up or something of that nature. tranny wise i dont know about a 5spd but maybe a 4spd m-21 or m-23 muncie would be a great set up if you could find one. if not i would probly go with a c6 with a stall and shift kit. let us know how the build/ideas come out for ya.
1989LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM   #10
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
86GT 93LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989LX View Post
if i remember right the last year for a 390 in a truck was '77. they are a good hard running fast reving engine. little head work, intake, cam, and headers with good exhaust and you'll have a stout motor. if your wanting to go fuel injection check out a holley TB set up or something of that nature. tranny wise i dont know about a 5spd but maybe a 4spd m-21 or m-23 muncie would be a great set up if you could find one. if not i would probly go with a c6 with a stall and shift kit. let us know how the build/ideas come out for ya.
yeah well im sitting here with another dead t5 and my landlord has the 74 explorer truck with the 390 and he will sell it for pretty cheap, so it gave me the idea of doing something differant. the truck has a 4 speed, not sure how well its geared for going fast but he claims its geared to go fast.i was thinking a turbo inline 6 or something like this or maybe even something flat out silly like a turbo dohc 4 cyclinder turbo volvo motor in a fox. all these people try to put the volvo head on the 2.3l why not just put the whole motor in it!
86GT 93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chassis wiggle when off throttle? UrS4 S197 Handling Section 10 10-03-2015 06:23 AM
October Sale - AmericanMuscle AMAlexLazarus AmericanMuscle.com 0 10-01-2015 10:29 AM
Hello All RCS02v6 New Member Area 4 09-29-2015 01:46 PM
Paint & Body People! I have a question! GLOCKer General Tech 0 09-28-2015 07:36 AM
swapping trannys 2poor4u2 V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs 1 09-26-2015 11:08 AM


Tags
1995, 390, aluminum, body, cheap, engine, fe, fox, foxbody, heads, kits, mustang, put, stroker, swap

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.