5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Won't Start!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Saleen88

Default Won't Start!

Hey guys, have a problem, hope is a little one and someone here can help: I was out driving my Saleen when all of a sudden when I accelerated to pull into traffic, heard something pop then car started to missfire, let of accelerator and tried again, nothing, pulled off to the side, tried to start it, nothing, it happened to me before, same thing, shop replaced ignition module and problem fixed, so had car towed home last night, went out this morning bought a new one, put it on, nothing, same problem, engine turns but won't start, get a very strong fuel odor every time I try it, any ideas would be appreciated?
Old 10-12-2008, 03:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

SPRAY ETHER IN tb AND SEE IF IT FIRES ,IF NOT = SPARK ISSUE, you'll need to test for power to the coil if coil tests good, it may have a bad stator in the dizzy
Old 10-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...Sounds like the fuel pump since you replaced the TFI mod...Bang on the fuel tank with a wood bat while someone cranks the car, sometimes that will shock the fuel pump..on the pas. side!

If you replace the pump, put in a new fuel filter....
Old 10-13-2008, 01:20 AM
88T-TOP
2nd Gear Member

mine is doing the same exact thing put on my lx tails last night took it for a ride stalled once started back up then stalled again big fuel odor under the hood wacked the gas tank with a mallet...no dice...did you figure out yours yet?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:15 AM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Pull codes, check for spark (as mentioned above). Does your tach move when you crank the car? If it stays at "0" and you've got no spark, it's your PIP.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 AM
88T-TOP
2nd Gear Member

PIP?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 AM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88T-TOP
PIP?
PIP/Hall Effect/Pick-up you'll hear it called a few things. It's inside the distributor. It's MUCH easier the replace the whole distributor, unless you've got some gear pullers, a thin drift/punch, a vice, some know how and most importantly.....patience.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:41 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by Saleen88
Hey guys, have a problem, hope is a little one and someone here can help: I was out driving my Saleen when all of a sudden when I accelerated to pull into traffic, heard something pop then car started to missfire, let of accelerator and tried again, nothing, pulled off to the side, tried to start it, nothing, it happened to me before, same thing, shop replaced ignition module and problem fixed, so had car towed home last night, went out this morning bought a new one, put it on, nothing, same problem, engine turns but won't start, get a very strong fuel odor every time I try it, any ideas would be appreciated?
Originally Posted by timspony
...Sounds like the fuel pump since you replaced the TFI mod...Bang on the fuel tank with a wood bat while someone cranks the car, sometimes that will shock the fuel pump..on the pas. side!

If you replace the pump, put in a new fuel filter....
Doubtful since he can smell fuel.

Check it for spark and see where that gets you.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 PM
88T-TOP
2nd Gear Member

no spark just cranks no start my boss said it some kind of ignition module thats common on 5 liter engines he also said the part is like 30 bucks
Old 10-13-2008, 08:17 PM
U S Marine
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88T-TOP
no spark just cranks no start my boss said it some kind of ignition module thats common on 5 liter engines he also said the part is like 30 bucks
I would change the distributor and put a new Motorcraft TFI on it. The $30 TFI's are crappy and you'll go through it again sooner than you would like. I've purchased to "good one's" from NAPA and they fail in fairly short order. They are a small PITA but worth the extra $$ to not change it again soon.

Quick Reply: Won't Start!