5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

could really use some help. tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
crvtkilla
1st Gear Member

Default could really use some help. tranny issue

Alright well here is the deal. I bought the car a couple months ago drove it once and tore it down. Its a 1990 gt with an aod transmission. The transmission operated good when i drove it. I had already built a 347 for it last year. I got the car fired up for the first time last week and motor seems to run good after tweakin with the pms so i was psyched about that. i just got it warm and burped the cooling system and checked fuel pressure and timing and all. but i took it out for its first drive yesterday and the tranny wont upshift, regardless if you just leave it in drive or try to run it through manually. so i take it back to the shop and re adjust the shifter cable. its got a b&m pro stick. the adjustment is slightly off but nothing big that tranny wasnt selecting drive or anything. take it out again and no difference. it will only shift from first to second if you get above 3k and then totally let off. but it will drop back into first if you downshift manually. so really my question is what controls the upshifts in the tranny? bear with me i am a little new to automatics. i did have to replace shift lever on the trans itself to use the b&m shifter. so i had to take the inner shift lever assembly apart and reassemble after installing the outer lever but i am pretty positive that i got i back together correctly or it wouldnt be selecting gears. If sitting while idleing and i run the trans through gears i can feel it select gears like its transfering fluid and all. i am hoping that an auto guy will know something simple that i missed but who knows. thanks for any response i really appreciate it. sorry for the long post but i thought it was neccessary to give all the info that i know.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:38 PM
crvtkilla
1st Gear Member

bump.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:35 PM
crvtkilla
1st Gear Member

come on guys i could really use some advice. i have done some reading and the problem sure sounds like it has something to do with the throttle valve cable or linkage so i readjusted the cable and even dropped the pan to make sure the valve is moving in and out off the valve body and it seems to be fine. the linkage is hooked up correctly. i am at a loss.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM
80'smusclecarfan
1st Gear Member

Just shootin in the dark but do you have the right amount and type of fluid? is the torque converter in good shape and getting fluid itself. Valve body check out and the kick down cable?. I am only really familiar with some GM trannies but they were somewhat difficult to set properly ie:finicky.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:29 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

tv cable adjustment is up on the cable where it snaps onto the throttle body
Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 PM
RUDEDOG.357

The bushing that holds the Throttle cable gets brittle and breaks. The cable comes off and trans wont upshift. the adjustment might be off. you might be able to tell where it was before by looking for wear marks. The right way to adjust cable is to install a gauge on the tv pressure port on the right side of trans and set it to 32 to 35 psi. Will also need the gauge tool that wedges on the end of tv cable.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:37 PM
crvtkilla
1st Gear Member

hey thanks for some input guys. yea the trans is all full on fluid. and a brand new edge torque converter. and i did re adjust the cable at the throttle even though it hadnt moved from the original position where it had worked before i tore the car down. but i know i didnt do it exactly right considering i didnt use a pressure guage and all. i used a method i found on the net to at least get me close. i would think it would at least get me close enough to where it would shift at least some where close. but just considering the fact that i know that the cable is moving the linkage and the valve itself is being pressed into the valve body and that it doesnt effect shift points than to me it seems as that whatever happens after the valve is pressed into the valve body to get the correct line pressure is at fault. maybe i am wrong but who knows. thanks for the help
Old 10-16-2008, 01:19 AM
80'smusclecarfan
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you know whats going on for the most part.You say it has a new converter,was fluid poured into it before putting it on.I've replaced 2 converters and it was necessary although youd think it wouldn't matter in the long run.Anyway sorry to beat a dead horse.While writing this I remembered I had the same prob w/a 200r4 and after many adj/road test I found the kickdown/throttle cable wasn't even close to where it shoulda been,if I remember I had it waaay to tight.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 AM
crvtkilla
1st Gear Member

yea i filled the converter up with fluid before i installed it. but yea i wish i knew what was going on but i dont. it just doesnt feel like an adjustment problem to me because the adjustment never changed from where it was with the last motor and it shifted fine. it just seems that it should at least be shifting some where. but its not at all. it seems like i got more of a problem than that. but i hope not. thanks for the response.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:16 PM
RUDEDOG.357

Maybe the governor is stuck. the weights might be hanging up. ill ck my shop manual when i get to work.

Quick Reply: could really use some help. tranny issue