5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

just bought 88gt and have $4000 to spend !!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

I think a supercharger is completely safe on a stock motor. You have to remember that his motor doesn't have 150,000 miles but only 8,000. Plus installing Heads and an intake is not the easiest thing to do. Installing a supercharger can be done in a few hours. A properly tuned motor w/supercharger with aftermarket intake manifold, exhaust + all bolt ons and stock heads will lay 350+rwhp. A good H/C/I package will be lucky to make 300rwhp(I made 271rwhp & 311rwtq). And you can get some really nice used superchargers for cheap, especially for the Fox Bodies. I bought mine used for $1900 and in excellent condition. Corral.net is the place to go for used parts. They have an awsome FI section.
Here's my idea: Vortech SC, 3:73 gears, complete fuel system upgrade, headers, and a good tune. I think you'll be happy w/the results. And everything can be had for less than $4000.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:06 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

The only reason why I am so for boost is because I have done the entire H/C/I + bolton's route and I was not happy. It just didn't have the punch. It felt okay, but nothing special. And for the money I spent, I could have bought a Supercharger and made even more horsepower, plus all the endless hours working non-stop on the car. It's fun in the beginning, but gets old after awhile IMO. You can get a new Vortech(6 pounds of boost) for under $2000. It's a complete kit. If you want more, you'll have $2000 more to decide what you want.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:21 AM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

Well First of all, what kind of Internals is the motor running with? stock reconditioned or is a forged assembly?

Secondly a non intercooled Super Charger Kit & a good HCI will run around the same amount...

I would personally... buy a forged Short Block (1500ish) and slap a HCI kit on there... edelbrock or Trickflow or Holley will all bank you good numbers... AFR is good but i don't thinkt hey make kits.

and your looking at 300+ HP and alot more room to grow and its ready for Boost and Nitrous (pending on your compression)

so after you save up another 3000Gs you can buy a Vortech kit and make
400+ RWHP and be in the 11s...

Advantage to doing it like this is... IF you decide you want to HCI after the Vortech you ahve to take the whole supercharger kit off, it makes it that much more time consuming...
Old 10-15-2008, 12:26 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

a turbo kit from quicktime turbo along with supporting fuel mods and for right around 3500-4000 you will have 400 rwhp and it will drive like stock when out of boost and will get decent mileage also.

this is what i would of done if i had to do it all over again
Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Thanks JT, many don't realize you can make more power with boost than a good H/C/I. With a good TUNE, blowing the motor is highly unlikely. And if I am not mistaken, the stock internal can handle 400+rwhp and the block is good for up to 500rwhp(although 450 is still considered safe)
Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

^^^^ yep

do it turbo that biiiaaattcch
Old 10-15-2008, 12:48 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
I think a supercharger is completely safe on a stock motor. You have to remember that his motor doesn't have 150,000 miles but only 8,000. Plus installing Heads and an intake is not the easiest thing to do. Installing a supercharger can be done in a few hours. A properly tuned motor w/supercharger with aftermarket intake manifold, exhaust + all bolt ons and stock heads will lay 350+rwhp. A good H/C/I package will be lucky to make 300rwhp(I made 271rwhp & 311rwtq). And you can get some really nice used superchargers for cheap, especially for the Fox Bodies. I bought mine used for $1900 and in excellent condition. Corral.net is the place to go for used parts. They have an awsome FI section.
Here's my idea: Vortech SC, 3:73 gears, complete fuel system upgrade, headers, and a good tune. I think you'll be happy w/the results. And everything can be had for less than $4000.
thats a good point, i was just trying to lay a good foundation for future mods.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Supercharger is easier to put on, Turbo is a pain. But you can change the boost on a turbo easier than you can a supercharger. Personaly I like the supercharger, I like the sound of it more.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 PM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

the only downside is if he does get turbo or supercharger, he does run a higher risk of blowing something on the stock block/components as compared to getting h/c/i and other goodies to build off of and THEN get the super/turbo. both of the chargers are great but just from some friends that have gone that route first they ended up spending much more in the long run than with a few of my fellow 5.0 friends who have done the h/c/i first. then they were able to add more hp later than have to wait for more cash just to rebuild the motor.

Not saying this WILL happen 100% but you run a higher chance of this occuring on a stock setup than if you upgraded the internals first and then got boost after.

my .02 cents!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

I do agree with what you say Saleen. However, a mostly stock mustang with a supercharger will make similar power numbers to a fully built H/C/I motor, so it's just as easy to grenade a NA motor than a SC motor. It all depends on the tune and the proper fuel supply. If you beat on your car everyday, any motor is going to give up faster than one that is mildly driven. I guess I am different than your friends when it came to installing which parts first. I did the H/C/I first then the supercharger two years later. At first I wanted the SC, but did not have the funds or patience to wait, so I bought the heads and cam. Plus if you want to do A H/I package later, removing the supercharger takes less than an hour.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just bought 88gt and have $4000 to spend !!!!!!!!