5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Best cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:48 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default Best cylinder heads

I have this posted on a couple of other forums but know we have some engine builders here and would like to get all suggestions.

I have a 95 cobra r (clone) with a 357. It currently has a cam with lift of .550 ground on a 108 center line. I have the 70 d0 heads on there that have had extensive work. I have KB forged flat tops as well. I have busted a head gasket and have been looking for an excuse to buy aluminum heads. The car has track suspension and beefed up rear with 35 spline mosers. The car rarely gets driven. I just traded my black hatch for this one because it is much cleaner. What would be the best cylinder heads/size for the buck for say a street/strip car? Tranny is a c-4 with reverse manual valve body and a 3200 stall. What would be your recommendations. Keep in mind the car is only out on cruise in's and track maybe once a month.

Thanks

Keith
Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

IMO, id go with either a set of AFR 225's, or a set of the Trickflow R-Series. i mean they both make extensive horsepower, and they look great under the hood as well. so thats my opinion, but im a trickflow and afr kind of guy. other heads are just as good, like canfield, Victor Jr., World, Dart, etc. id call Jegs or Summit and talk with a tech. and find out what they would recomend for your set-up.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmike33
IMO, id go with either a set of AFR 225's, or a set of the Trickflow R-Series. i mean they both make extensive horsepower, and they look great under the hood as well. so thats my opinion, but im a trickflow and afr kind of guy. other heads are just as good, like canfield, Victor Jr., World, Dart, etc. id call Jegs or Summit and talk with a tech. and find out what they would recomend for your set-up.
I am in the same boat here with mustangmike. I have a pair of AFR's on my car and i love em. Not the 225 but 185cc and man do they scream with power. My car is also a daily driver which seems like yours is also the daily driver.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:21 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleenpride1986
I am in the same boat here with mustangmike. I have a pair of AFR's on my car and i love em. Not the 225 but 185cc and man do they scream with power. My car is also a daily driver which seems like yours is also the daily driver.
Mines far from a DD. It hardly gets taken out at all. I'm looking for something for the occasional cruise in's and track. We have another track rental coming up and i traded my track car so i need to get this one right. I'm thinking the 205's or 225's, or trickflow high port?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

sorry i apparently didn't read the part that said 'the car rarely gets driven' only the part that said cruise in and tracks. my bad...

yea the 2225 would/should work for your set up. If you do decide to get heads from any manufacturer call their techies and make sure it will be a correct size / head for your car. They know a LOT about their heads and have people asking them very specific questions all day about the same thing you are asking about, so they know wtf is going on! A lot of the time they can recommend a correct part even if its not through them, even if they have a product similar in size or fittings or w/e it is.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:55 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

man if u get the 225's whitewindsor then you will have a lot of room when you want to build a 408 with that windsor.

and hey you were giving me some crap as to my last car (black 91) as to it should of had a 351 in it well sold that roller and just picked up a 82 gt with a just freshened up 69' 351 w with a decent cam,r. rockers,gt 40 heads with some port work,new v. springs, new bbk c. coated longtubes and old school srod 4 speed traded all this for my old remington shotgun, so now i got a good 351 w for my next stang....later
Old 10-15-2008, 03:13 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

are you running nitrous on this car or will you be?
Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

trickflow 205 head out flows the afr 205 head and (jay allen) says that these are some bad a** heads ... which i will be buying my cam for my 351 w

i am thinking take off the gt40 heads off the 351 and have some port work done on my twisted wedges and along with a custom cam from jay,vic jr, and a 750 dp, along with the lt's i will have a easy 11.5 car , when i get one.

.............sorry.......carry on.............lol.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:04 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtmustang
man if u get the 225's whitewindsor then you will have a lot of room when you want to build a 408 with that windsor.

and hey you were giving me some crap as to my last car (black 91) as to it should of had a 351 in it well sold that roller and just picked up a 82 gt with a just freshened up 69' 351 w with a decent cam,r. rockers,gt 40 heads with some port work,new v. springs, new bbk c. coated longtubes and old school srod 4 speed traded all this for my old remington shotgun, so now i got a good 351 w for my next stang....later
Congrats on the new engine. The 69 blocks are great. I have a buddy who is running consistant 5.70 with 2 kits and the block has help up well for 2 seasons.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
are you running nitrous on this car or will you be?
Yes i have a kit waiting to be hooked up as soon as i figure out what i'm going to do. I will be running a 150 shot not to go over a 200 shot.

Quick Reply: Best cylinder heads