5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need help with 89 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

Default need help with 89 GT

new battery new solenoid new starter - > still when i try to start the starter won't turn over it will try and only turn a little bit - i got a voltage tester and when i try to turn the car on my voltage drops majorly ..i though tit could be the engine to body ground or battery to body ground so i sanded down every connection and made really good grouns to my frame and still no luck please anyone had this issue? or know how to fix??
Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM
SoTexDC2

Do you have a battery tester, battery charger, or jumper cables?

Your battery may have the proper voltage, but might not be charged enough to supply sufficient amperage to the starter motor. If your positive the charging and starter system is working properly, double check your connections between the battery terminal and starter. Replace that wire with a known good one, just to narrow down the possibility's. Same with the ground wire's.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:11 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

I have a voltage tester and i just got a new battery with my warranty (today) i do have a battery charger and i'm about to set it on "engine start" mode and hopefully it should work because i have used jumper cables with another car an jump started it but there must be a problem i shouldn't need a jump every time i start it.....
Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like your starter is siezing up. Voltage drops because the starter is taking all the power to try to turn itself. Something to think about.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:09 PM
marlyman
2nd Gear Member

i just got my starter testd and it workd good! :-( if only that was the problem i could just fix it!!! bah any other ideas????? anybody??? and just for info the "engine start" didn't help i need a jump atleast....wtf the only thing i can think is the wires that im using to run my body2ground, startr2solenoid must be bad?

Last edited by marlyman; 10-21-2008 at 06:43 PM.