5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

no elec power

Old 10-24-2008, 04:51 PM
bknightg35

Unhappy no elec power

I was installing a power booster with a starter switch on it and the electrical system completely stopped working. I was having trouble with re-starts after the engine was hot. I talked to Summit racing, my have been my first mistake and the tech guy recommended going to a 16 volt battery so I bought one and installed it. It had some serious starting power but did not solve the problem of hot starts. My son is a tech for Lexus so I ask him what else I could try and he suggested this power booster with improvements to the battery wires as well, more grounds and a heavier gauge wiring. The power booster hooks into the starter selenoid and also has a red button to turn the motor over with. He got it all hooked up and turned the motor over with the red button. Then he tried to start the engine with the key and nothing happened. He tried all the electrical equipment and no response from anything. He checked all the fuses on the drop panel on the drivers side but all were fine. He then tried to find fusable links which might have blown but had no luck with that because, probably because he didn't know where all of them were. I decided to buy a new engine wiring harness and installed that, enough of it that would at least let me turn some lights on but it didn't work.. That's where it stands right now.

Last edited by bknightg35; 10-27-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Add more information to help explain problem
Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

a power booster?
Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 PM
grnstang
2nd Gear Member

lol what is that
Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

more info on this power booster please
Old 10-28-2008, 11:58 AM
bknightg35

I was installing a power booster with a starter switch on it and the electrical system completely stopped working. I was having trouble with re-starts after the engine was hot. I talked to Summit racing, my have been my first mistake and the tech guy recommended going to a 16 volt battery so I bought one and installed it. It had some serious starting power but did not solve the problem of hot starts. My son is a tech for Lexus so I ask him what else I could try and he suggested this power booster with improvements to the battery wires as well, more grounds and a heavier gauge wiring. The power booster hooks into the starter selenoid and also has a red button to turn the motor over with. He got it all hooked up and turned the motor over with the red button. Then he tried to start the engine with the key and nothing happened. He tried all the electrical equipment and no response from anything. He checked all the fuses on the drop panel on the drivers side but all were fine. He then tried to find fusable links which might have blown but had no luck with that because, probably because he didn't know where all of them were. I decided to buy a new engine wiring harness and installed that, enough of it that would at least let me turn some lights on but it didn't work.. That's where it stands right now.