5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default Fuel Pump?

I could look this up elsewhere but im just not feeling it right now. Up until yesterday my 'stang started and drove just fine with no hint of what was to come. I drove to work and parked it, worked a 7 hour shift, and when i was ready to come home the engine wouldnt start. I tried a jump but that didnt get me going. Then it hit me...i didnt hear the fuel pump kick in. I checked the fuses and they were all good. I checked the inertia switch and the button was down as it should be. I tried a new battery out of curiosity thinking hopefully mine was too discharged to run the pump, no luck. I do not have the luxury to test anything right now as i am at home, my Mustang is still sitting at work. I was lucky to even find a way home.

So, the question is what are the chances the pump just up and died? Is there something i missed? A guy at work asked about the neutral switch (its an AOD). I am pretty sure that is not my problem. At the moment i am suspecting my pump, i think i have a spare BBK 110 and i do have a new inertia switch downstairs which i will try first. There is almost 1/2 tank of gas left and i am by myself. I NEVER do tank work unless someone else is there, just in case.

Im hoping to find a rollback to atleast get my baby home. Until then, any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

do you have AAA? they'll tow it home for ya...

but fuel pumps can just give up the ghost like that... all it is is an electric motor..
Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

I dont have AAA but my mom does, but that doesnt really help me much. Shes in VA until Monday anyway. There is a shop nearby i can call for a tow or rollback. I prefer a rollback.

In the meantime i found my spare inertia switch and pump, but no spare pump relay. Found an ignition switch that i never used. Could my ignition switch be the problem? The EEC relay clicks and the starter cranks, just no pump. Checking the fusible link is also on my to-do list. My owners manual say sits at the starter relay, but which link is it? I think there are a few in there.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Fuel OR spark issue....Sometimes with a fuel pump issue, you can get under the car and bang on the tank (with wood or large wrench) on the fuel pump area to shock it, you'll need two people (one to crank the car)...

Otherwise it could be your TFI mod. (common to go bad over the years)...you'll need to check and see if you have spark...
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

So if a TFI is bad the pump wont turn on? I always thought a bad TFI would just cause a no-start but not a no-pump condition? I have a spare TFI here (IF i need it) but it might be an old one. I dont remember what size bit to use to remove the TFI anyway, its been far too long. Which wire do i test for voltage at the inertia switch? And i did find a spare relay, just dont know if its a bad one or if the right one, the terminals are in the right place tho and it is a Ford relay.

Its supposed to rain most of the day i think, and havent found anyone yet able to give me a tow : ( .
Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Gauranteed it's not an inertia switch prob!!! in the 15 years I've worked on these never once had such an issue unless car was rear ended....move on to another item!!...proper troubleshooting begins with isolating problem to a system not slapping parts that some may think are bad, grab a can of starting fluid, spray it in the intake briefly and if it fires up = fuel issue and if the car cranks over = not a cranking/ignition system prob.........anyway if car fires up briefly on ether then grab a test light and unplug the connector at fuel tank for pump and prob the neg and pos pins = loop test light in series and crank it....if test light illuminates bright while cranking, then the fuel pump circuit is operational and intank pump is bad........replace and then retest
Old 10-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Ive never had a bad inertia switch before either but couldnt hurt to check. As far as slapping parts on thats not much of an issue as ive had spares here for a few years now, for just such an occassion.

Getting to the connector at the pump will be tough without dropping the tank, my hands arent that small and i still havent found anyone to help or willing to help drop the tank. If i can find rides to and from work ill just let her sit until Tuesday as i have off, plenty of time to hopefully find a rollback.

I can try the starting fluid but im almost sure its the pump. Why? Because thats how Murphy works.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

test the wires coming out of the relay to the pump then..and we'll assume wiring from there to pump is good..at least we hope
Old 10-25-2008, 03:57 PM
abel

take off the air filter and put cloth with gas, if the car stared the problem is the fuel pump.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by abel
take off the air filter and put cloth with gas, if the car stared the problem is the fuel pump.
heck no!!!!!!!!!! one cough and you could have a fire ball erupt......use a spray can of ether = 1.49 at wal-mart...super tech brand!! I use it all the time

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump?