5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

king cobra clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 04:11 PM
stanguy306
2nd Gear Member

LOL just buy the CF to begin with...dont want to do it twice.....you wont be happy with the KC on a daily driver...or if you sit in traffic....etc.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:47 PM
95vertGT

yeah but i dont plan on doing f/i for a while and i may never even do it(more of a road racing guy than strip guy oh yeah and i mean road racing as in a track like the glen i guess some ppl dont know what that is cause i already got yelled at for be a ricer and street racing in another thread)...but yeah thats off topic....p.s. idk what clutch is on my stang now (just recently got it) but the clutch is already heavy as ***** my leg gets tired sitting at lights as is...so i can handle that i was more concerned on the power it can handle

Last edited by 95vertGT; 10-29-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:50 PM
95vertGT

also its not really a daily driver i have two cars
Old 10-29-2008, 11:53 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
Oh come on! I agree it's supposed to feel solid, but killing your leg at a stoplight is over-kill. The point is to be able to enjoy the car, especially if it's a daily driver. If I wanted to work out, I'd buy a weight cage and bust some squats and "feel the burn"! If it's a track car, whatever floats your boat, cause you don't have to ram that thing 150 times an hour in bumper to bumper traffic.

A Centerforce DF is not a clutch for a wuss, and it will hold it's own on most any street car while still remaining comfortable to operate for those of us who don't wanna "feel the burn".
by solid he doesnt mean break your leg trying to push it. he's my friend so i know this.
we compare a good clutch to something like a compound bow if you know what that is, where it's stiff but once you push so far down there's a bit of a give point and it isnt hard to hold down. i'd rather have a clutch like that than one that feels the same all the way through. this is just my prefrence and i just dont care for the KC in MY car. others may feel different i am aware of this and i dont mean for anyone to take offence to my opinion
Old 10-30-2008, 08:53 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I said it can get tired..but if you don't believe me I invite you to take mine for a test drive
I'd like that! But unfortunately I live quite a few gallons south of you.

Besides, you don't have to convince me of it's holding power, cause I know it's got *****. Problem is, I've been living with it on my daily driver for years, and it's about time for something with more manners! I got stuck on the interstate in a traffic jam caused by an accident, where they direct one car at a time around the issue, apparently so everyone gets a good chance to gawk. I'm talking a three mile backup at 5:30 in the afternoon... I never got more than 20 feet at a time, and never got out of first gear. After something like 300 presses of the pedal, I fu@#ed up something in the ball of my foot, and had to use the side of it to mash the pedal to get home. It wasn't the same for like a month. Yeah, it's time for a change.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpony88
by solid he doesnt mean break your leg trying to push it. he's my friend so i know this.
we compare a good clutch to something like a compound bow if you know what that is, where it's stiff but once you push so far down there's a bit of a give point and it isnt hard to hold down. i'd rather have a clutch like that than one that feels the same all the way through. this is just my prefrence and i just dont care for the KC in MY car. others may feel different i am aware of this and i dont mean for anyone to take offence to my opinion
I know exactly what you mean with the analogy, and believe me, the KC is not like a compound bow. It's more like a medieval torture device, just brutally tough pressure all the way through. A friend of mine has the CF, and I think the pressure and travel characteristics on it are very smooth and about half as difficult to press.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95vertGT
yeah but i dont plan on doing f/i for a while and i may never even do it(more of a road racing guy than strip guy oh yeah and i mean road racing as in a track like the glen i guess some ppl dont know what that is cause i already got yelled at for be a ricer and street racing in another thread)...but yeah thats off topic....p.s. idk what clutch is on my stang now (just recently got it) but the clutch is already heavy as ***** my leg gets tired sitting at lights as is...so i can handle that i was more concerned on the power it can handle
Ok, so what it boils down to is you can

1. Spend the cash for the CF, and get something that holds 600 lbs of torque at the crank (you would use the one for years 96-98, they are all interchangeable) and has a comfortable like-stock pedal pressure that wont wear you out at the light if you take it out on the street.

2 Buy a KC, develop a gorilla leg, and get (maybe) the same holding power of the CF. Then later, when you go F/I, buy a CF to replace the KC clutch that may still be in perfect shape.

Why buy two clutches when you only need one? Why press it harder than you need to? I think most folks here would agree that the smart money is on #1. But its YCYDYP (Your Car Your Dough Your Prerogative, as I've heard it said).
Old 10-30-2008, 12:14 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
I know exactly what you mean with the analogy, and believe me, the KC is not like a compound bow. It's more like a medieval torture device, just brutally tough pressure all the way through. A friend of mine has the CF, and I think the pressure and travel characteristics on it are very smooth and about half as difficult to press.
i wasn't applying it to the KC, like you said it's like that all the way... i hate the feeling of it. i have a new hays clutch i'm gonna put in my 95 and on my 83 i have a spec stage 3, that spec feels the best to me and it holds ANYTHING i throw at it without killing my legs. the CF i had burned up... i never cared for it but this spec has been amazing
Old 10-30-2008, 01:16 PM
95vertGT

i said before im not going to buy two clutches and that is not a daily driver so i can handle a tough clutch but i guess if its really as bad as all you guys say i should stay away from it...only reason i was looking into it cause i can get one for like 135 bucks which isss dirttt cheap for a clutch (and cf is what like 350 or 400?) but from what you guys say if i want a softer pedal i should def go with the cf

Last edited by 95vertGT; 10-30-2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
95vertGT

oh yeah and i am a college kid so money is tight....appreciate everyones input thanks!

Last edited by 95vertGT; 10-30-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: king cobra clutch