5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Shooting fire out exhaust!!! ewww

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 08:28 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by yoyo8750LX
dyno tune for peek perfor
If it still does it, you know its not out of tune to run right.
dyno tunes are more worth it then, lets just see what it does runs.

Sort of typical for a stick as that quick sex to shift, can load raw fuel into the pipes.

Hit jcwhitney and look for the xhaust tips that have flaps in them. Not flappers but a pressure controlled flap that will not let it pop n shoot fire as it can't load up, when out pressure drop it slams shut and stopps that. Suppose to raise mileage some as yout not dumpin raw fule into xhaust anymore on shifts.

different from the flapper valves on big rigs.

just dew it
That's retarded.
Anyway, just throwing in bigger squirters isn't always better. That isn't how you tune carbs to run better lol but yes carb motors love fuel. You do probably have way to much fuel going into the engine and its shooting some out the exhaust. I would bet that if you pulled your plugs out they would be black as hell. What is the rest of your setup? Have you had your dizzy's timing curved to the motor or what?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

What kind of mufflers are you running? or what type of exhaust? Ive had flames shoot out of my exhaust twice when i was getting on it one night one the way home from the local hang out. I think it was the extra fuel being dumped in with the boost then when i shifted the extra fuel that was used got sent through the pipes. Im running shorty's with o/r h pipe with 40 flows so there is no packing in them to soak up the noise or any flames . If your running mufflers with no packing in them they will back fire because i had a concern too and i called around to a bunch of tuners and they all said that because the flowmasters just have 2 baffles and no packing you will hear the back fire and if i didnt want to hear it then i needed to get mufflers with packing material in them to soak up the back fire sound
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

different from the flapper valves on big rigs.

just dew it
Judist Priest!!!!!!!!! were not working on a tractor trailer!!!........anyway...what you need to do is run a koer test and check for any codes....mine used to do that too and what was wrong with it was the antibackfire gulp valve for the thermactor air injection was bad = one way check valve that screwed on to the two pipes that connect to the back of the heads
Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Sort of typical for a stick as that quick sex to shift, can load raw fuel into the pipes.

just dew it
You just said "stick", "sex" and "load" in the same sentence!!! Just dew it! LOL!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
You just said "stick", "sex" and "load" in the same sentence!!! Just dew it! LOL!
Nice observation
Old 10-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
Nice observation
You know, there really is nothing like having a dirty mind, because you can entertain yourself in the most mundane conversations. It's like those clips that they take of president's speeches, that they then re-arrange the order of the words to give them an entirely different, and yet highly entertaining meaning.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM
JD5.0stang
1st Gear Member

back fires can be caused by many things. Try backing off the timing a little. Allso lean it out a little. The flames mean that there ia undeurned fuel in the exhaust and it is being ignited by heat and pressure. Less timing and less fuel. Id be willing to bet you pickup hp too
Old 11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
nightcrawler52
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Project 5.GO!
I'd second that. I know what English as a second language looks like on paper, and that's not it. That's not even "don't-give-a-****" typing. We have a lot of practitioners of "DGAS" typing on this board... And I'm one of the new guys, and I type good... I mean WELL!
Its not DGAS, Its DGAF. lol
Old 11-05-2008, 05:34 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Your carb is probably going to be the issue or an exhaust leak since your timing appears to be good. It happens more so on carbed engines due to still having fuel going in immediately after you let off of the throttle which causes you to run rich right after you lift from the throttle.

Does it do it just on the shift or does it do it quite a few times while decelerating?
& do you have egr on the car?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:22 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

My car was backfiring between shifts because it was too lean.

Originally Posted by Hicompression
You are right. It's not supposed to dew that.
lolacaust.