5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is my clutch/trans going to explode???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Unhappy Is my clutch/trans going to explode???

I go to start my car today, just like any other day. Put the stick in neutral, press the clutch in, and turn the key. Immediately after starting I heard a loud spinning whirring sound (like something was spinning freely) coming from somewhere between the shifter and the engine. I immediately turned off the engine, but the whirring/spinning continued for about 5 seconds before the engine sounded like it was trying to turn over again. Not knowing what else to do, I put the gear in 1st and let off the clutch to stop it from turning, and it worked.

WTF is happening here?

On a related side note, before this strange occurrance, I've been having issues with starting the car once in a while. I'll turn the key, the engine starts to turn, then I hear a loud click/knock followed by a whizzing sound and thud (car does not start). On the next start it starts fine. This happens like once a month.

Anyone have any idea what's going on???

Thanks.

1990 GT, stock motor, rebuilt trans, centerforce I clutch, FMS clutch cable, and FMS Aluminum clutch quadrant.

Last edited by 5pony0; 11-04-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

throwout bearing is the most likely cause of the noise. as far as the click/knock during start, i'd have to be there to make a positive diagnosis, but i'd check teeth on the flywheel while your doing the bearing.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

make sure the starter is bolted in tight and it could have a bad pilot bearing, so are you saying the growl noise continues once car is shut off??
Old 11-04-2008, 06:57 PM
willy9201

sounds like the starter is not engaging and dissengaging properly, i would check that first, before you tear anything else apart, 2 bolts nice and easy, then try for the pilot bearing and flywheel checkup
Old 11-04-2008, 10:02 PM
5pony0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
make sure the starter is bolted in tight and it could have a bad pilot bearing, so are you saying the growl noise continues once car is shut off??
sounded like something was spinning/rotating very fast (almost like a circular saw) once the car started. it continued to make that sound even after shutting the engine off and removing the key. Then, with the key OUT of the ignition, the sound went from that to sounding like the car was cranking. To stop it, I put it in gear and let off the clutch. This stopped it.

a year or 2 ago I had a problem while city driving in stop and go traffic. This was a new clutch BTW....All of a sudden it wouldn't get into gear, then once in gear...the car wouldn't go even when giving it gas. It was definately in gear, but I heard a rattling sound as if something was spinning loosely. I turn it off and try again and somehow it went away.

At the time I've it checked out several times, shop found nothing. They said they "readjusted" the clutch and it seemed to be ok. had more problems down the road, so they swapped out the new clutch cable for another FMS self adjusting cable. Still wasn't right, the next day after work, I went to start it...it made that clunk sound, whizzing sound, and the clutch pedal just dropped to the floor and the car didn't start. The clutch pedal was limp. I pulled up on it and pressed it all the way in and it reconnected. Took it to the shop. They replaced the Quadrant with a Ford Aluminum one. The clutch pedal effort was noticably easier. shifted great. That worked for a while, but the shifting problems continued.

The mechanic looked at it again and said the screw at the end (i think) of the clutch cable could be slipping out, so he put loctite on it to keep it put.

And here I am today.

Another thing I'm wondering that may be connected somehow......lets say im in 2nd gear and accelerate, then let off the gas completely. With the sudden deceleration, i'll hear a loud knock that sounds like it's under my seat. maybe it's the gears slappin, i don't know.

I'm just trying to give all the information i have hoping it may help shed some light on what's really going on.

I've just about had it with this crap.

Last edited by 5pony0; 11-04-2008 at 10:05 PM.