5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Frame Twisting???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:19 PM
MartyVice

Default Frame Twisting???

So I just bought a '94 Mustang GT Convertible, and the other day I went to the local Ford dealership to ask about any common issues with that year of Mustang.

Anyway the guy mentioned that because of it still being a fox body, and a convertible, that I shouldn't gun it off the line to much because of the potential of the frame and body twisting.

I've heard of this before in old muscle cars, but should I worry about this to much? I don't want to bag my car or anything, but wouldn't mind the occasional street race

Reason why I'm worried about this is because it is a convertible and has a lot less support.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

it is NOT a fox body, while it retains Many of the components, it's a much more rigid car in general than a fox. but with it being a vert yes there is greater possibility of chassis flex. you should put on a set of what are called sub-frame connectors. that will stiffen the body of the car further
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

^^
yeah i started a few threds on this subject and the answer would be subframe connectors and/or a roll cage which i wont recomend unless its gonna be a track car and not a DD
Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
MartyVice

are they hard to put on? how much would they cost?

also this is a bone stock mustang so no extra performance or anything.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

here's a set on 50resto.com a site i recommend you learn by heart
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS
Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

it all depends if you are going to launch it hard and if you do that with D/R alot then yes get them they aer 200-250 and they weld on i dont know if they bolt on like the s197's
Old 11-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

they weld on, get full lengths from Maximum Motorsports....

prolly cost you 50 bucks to have someone weld them on... maybe 100...
Old 11-06-2008, 06:42 AM
red95gtconvert
2nd Gear Member

I paid 40 dollars at the local shop to have my BBK subframe connectors welded in, they made a huge difference on our vert tightening up the chassis quite a bit.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:43 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by MartyVice
So I just bought a '94 Mustang GT Convertible, and the other day I went to the local Ford dealership to ask about any common issues with that year of Mustang.

Anyway the guy mentioned that because of it still being a fox body, and a convertible, that I shouldn't gun it off the line to much because of the potential of the frame and body twisting.

I've heard of this before in old muscle cars, but should I worry about this to much? I don't want to bag my car or anything, but wouldn't mind the occasional street race

Reason why I'm worried about this is because it is a convertible and has a lot less support.
Another ill -informed wanna be tech at the dealer spewing BS.........for what your plans are and the power you will be producing, you'll be fine, I don't assume you'll be building a wheel standing nitro beast...so no worry
Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM
MartyVice

ya I don't plan on building a drag car, in fact I will probably keep it completely stock, just the occasional street race against one of my friends.

Also, if they are not bolt in I won't get them, I refuse to weld them in place, I want to keep this car in good original condition, as the miles are low as well.

Quick Reply: Frame Twisting???