5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:50 PM
rdmypny
2nd Gear Member

Default supercharger question

my budy has a 91 GT with a 347 and powerdyne blower. 36# injectors he doesnt have a fulr pressure regulator yet. he just put the motor in and the blower on and it is running rich and fowling the plugs. does anyone have any sugestions or know what the problem may be?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:01 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Yeah absolutely have an idea what the problem is..he needs a custom tune and immediately!! The stock computer is completely baffled by whats being thrown at it right now LOL
Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 PM
rdmypny
2nd Gear Member

thats what i am thinking put everything back togather and haul it to the dyno pay them for a couple of hours and then drive it home. correct?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:07 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Yes sir
Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

We're going to need a LOT more info. Does he have a tune at all or at least a calibrated MAF? If he doesn't have a tune or calibrated MAF but he's running 36# injectors, then that is your problem right there. The computer assumes that you have stock injectors. So it adjusts the pulse width as if it were 19# injectors. If they are larger, then obviously you're going to be getting a ****LOAD more fuel into each cylinder.

Also, are you saying he has no fuel pressure regulator AT ALL? Or is it the stock one? There's a difference

And then there's his biggest problem..... The Powerdyne "supercharger" (I use the term loosely)
Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

I gave him credit for having the proper MAF calibration.

I agree with your assessment of the Powerdyne as well LOL
Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteveSkal
I gave him credit for having the proper MAF calibration.

I agree with your assessment of the Powerdyne as well LOL
I used to assume that people had the basics down and stuff like that. And it bit me in the *** on a few occasions. It seems like common sense, but you'd be shocked how many times they don't even think about something like that. They just think that if they put in new injectors, the car will magically know what happened and make all the proper adjustments...like putting RAM in a PC

I've seen people toss 30#ers straight into the car and have no clue why it's pig rich. then they try dropping the fuel pressure and screwing with the timing for god only knows what reason. It's not pretty!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
rdmypny
2nd Gear Member

ok here it is. 347 first time in a car 10 dyno runs on the motor and 375hp. pro top line heads not real sure on the cam. 36# injectors 75mm C&L mass air that has been calibrated. trick flow upper and lower intake. 75mm BBK TB. MSB 6AL box MSD distributor MSD coil ford racing 9mm wires autolite plugs tremec 6 speed tranny he still has to put the vaccume pump on it so he can have brakes. problem is everytime me cranks it it fowls the plugs. the fuel pressure regulator is still stock he has an aftermarket one but not on yet. if there is anything else just ask and i can tell you about it. i know more about his car than i do mine.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:27 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Are you sure the C&L MAF has the right calibration tube on it? Are all of the plugs getting fouled or just certain ones? There's no way it should be fouling them when trying start it up unless something is seriously wrong. It wouldn't hurt to get that new fuel pressure regulator on. It's fairly easy to check and see if the old one id bad as well..possible a ruptured diaphragm.

You lost me at the vacuum part too. Are you saying that there are vacuum lines that aren't connected? If so which lines and why? The fuel pressure regulator is going to need vacuum (obviously.) You also lost me about the breaks part. I know I'm tired and probably overlooked something you already said, but why doesn't he have brakes now?

Is there any kind of tune going or was it basically a plug and play trial run? I'd check the MAF to make sure the proper tube is installed for the calibration. Anything beyond that though and you'll probably want to put it in the hands of a tuner. When you get involved with it, you're going to want to see air fuel ratios, fuel tables, spark tables, etc. That stuff can give you a LOT of good info if you know how to read it.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
rdmypny
2nd Gear Member

with the blower it pushes air therfore takes the vaccume away so you need to install a vaccume pump to create vaccume for you well since brake run off vaccume and the blower take vaccume away and the bigger the cam you have also takes vaccume away it needs the vaccume pump. it fowl the plugs when you crank it.. it cranks and runs but shortly after it runs for a second the plugs fowl. almost possitive the correct tube is in the mass air meter

Quick Reply: supercharger question