5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

94 gt wont start :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 05:45 PM
DavidW

Default 94 gt wont start :(

I have a 94 gt 5.0 with a starter that will not turn it over. It randomly started running rough a few days ago(It was running fine, then i shut it off, when i started it again it was shaking really bad) so i parked it the weather was -5 to 0 and snowy a few days later When i got in it to start it, it turned over a couple times then stopped. I have by passed the clutch sensors for starting it, and i have boosted it. I can turn the engine over with a wrench. So my guess is the starter isnt getting power, any ideas on what i should try? Where is the starter?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yeah if it is that cold out your battery may be froozen...bring the battery into a warm place, let it dethaw...then recharge it and reinstall and try to test it
Old 11-14-2008, 06:21 PM
DavidW

well it has enough power to run everything, and the volatge meter is where it always is,
and i boosted it with another running vehicle, do you still thing the batteru could be the problem?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

make sure all connections are clean, if it starts when jumped
Old 11-14-2008, 06:38 PM
DavidW

it didnt start when boosted,
i didnt hear anything different when i boosted it either
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by DavidW
it didnt start when boosted,
i didnt hear anything different when i boosted it either
so are you saying it won't crank period when jumped also??? if so you'll need a friend and a test light , have a friend try and crank the car while you test for power on the wire down to the starter....if none, while still holding car in the crank position test for current on the small wire that goes to the selonoid down on the starter.....since it is a 94 it may have a bad starter or selonoid on the starter........as long as battery and connections are good, turn the headlights on with car off, if they are bright then battery is most likelt good as well as battery connections
Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

i believe sn95s have the solenoid on the starter. i havent had to pull mine or anything yet so sorry, i'm not positive.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM
AdamB
2nd Gear Member

I would also look into why it "randomly" started running rough. You mention it is cold, I'm wondering if you didn't freeze and crack something and are now getting some fluid in your cylinders. This would account for it not wanting to crank over. A little bit of fluid will up your compression and make it very hard on the starter.... and connecting rod bearings and everything else too.

Originally Posted by DavidW
I have a 94 gt 5.0 with a starter that will not turn it over. It randomly started running rough a few days ago(It was running fine, then i shut it off, when i started it again it was shaking really bad) so i parked it the weather was -5 to 0 and snowy a few days later When i got in it to start it, it turned over a couple times then stopped. I have by passed the clutch sensors for starting it, and i have boosted it. I can turn the engine over with a wrench. So my guess is the starter isnt getting power, any ideas on what i should try? Where is the starter?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:57 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

I think he said he could turn it over with a wrench so im sure the cylinders are not filled with coolant..And the solenoid is on the top of the starter in the 94-95's. Like it was mentioned up top the easiest way to diagnose is check the big wire on the solenoid for constant 12v power.And the small one for power when the switch is turned to the start position.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 AM
DavidW

It wasnt cold when it started running rough, well not below freezing anyways.
I was driving it for a few hours, then i shut it off for all of 2 minutes soon as I fired it up it was running rough.
I will check that wire with a test light, as soon as i get it pushed in the garage.

Quick Reply: 94 gt wont start :(