5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ready to Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 AM
REvn556

Default Ready to Rebuild

I've been doing some shopping and searching and I've come to the conclusion that I know exactly what I want to do. I would like to rebuild a 302 from a junkyard. I've considered all of the tools and money that i would need to do this myself. I have many friends who are willing to help me out.

I ordered a couple books on how its actually done. I am also going to be ordering some tools for the specific rebuilding process. I'm going to buy and engine stand and an engine hoist. What else am I going to need besides all the smaller tools?

How is the engine installed.....is it as simple as it seems? Just lining up the engine in the bay and bolting it? Any advice at this point would be valuable....
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by REvn556
Any advice at this point would be valuable....
read the manuals from start to finish when they arrive
Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 PM
RVC

Bag and tag everything, organize your work space, and take digital pics if needed for future reference.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

You will need a number of things that don't come to my mind easily because I've had these tools and pieces accumulated for a number of years.

To do things right, you will need: ring compressor, dial indicator, degree wheel, torque wrench, rod bolt stretch fixture for dial indicator, a primer shaft and electric drill. There are many other things that I use but you could get by without like a set of mics, both inside and outside, a dial indicator, a 12 inch dial or vernier caliper for measuring front and rear deck height.

You will need a good set of hand tools, but could get by without impacts. Allow some extra money in your budget for tools that you discover that you need while you're in the middle of the project.

Now, all that will be a considerable outlay and you will have lots of time in the project. For this reason there will be LOTS of naysayers that tell you to just take it to a shop and have it done. The reasons for that approach are obvious. The upsides to your doing the project yourself, however, are NUMEROUS. For one thing, after you're done you will then not only have the pride that you did it yourself, but you also will have the tools, equipment and experience to do it again and without NEARLY the outlay of money and time as the first one.

Also, you might just turn out like me and have a real love for building engines. I built my first engine at the age of 13 and that was 46 years ago. I have had zillions of different hobbies over the years, but messing with cars and more specifically building engines is what I have loved to do consistently for all of my adult life.

As my Dad used to tell me; "you'll never learn any younger."