5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Brownish Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
flakm

Default Brownish Power Steering Fluid

My sons 94GT has brownish colored Power Steering Fluid after adding more. What could this be? does the Pwr Steering pump need to be replaced?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...just sounds like old fluid...won't hurt to flush the system.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by timspony
...just sounds like old fluid...won't hurt to flush the system.
I concur
Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Flush the system using ONLY power steering fluid as the flush agent and use what I call the ASE method. I call it the ASE method because it is what is on the ASE certification test.

Do NOT use ATF in that vintage P/S system. ATF went through a radical change along about the time that they were producing your car. It is more expensive but use P/S fluid from the parts store. Buy about five quarts of it and proceed as follows.

Suck as much of the old fluid out of the reservoir as you can get and then remove the return hose from the reservoir and lower it down into a drain pan. What works REALLY good is if you can raise the car and attach a hose to the return hose and put that hose down into a clear plastic jug. A Hawaiin Punch Half gallon jug works really good because it has a bale that you can wire or tie wrap the hose to so that it doesn't flop out.

Once the hose is in the drain receptacle, open two quarts of p/s fluid and have it ready to go. With the top off of the reservoir, and your two quarts ready to pour, have an assistant start the engine and begin turning the steering wheel back and forth, lock to lock while you pour in the two quarts of fluid.

If you have the clear receptacle and better yet using a clear extension hose, keep pouring in fluid as it takes it until the fluid is coming out clean. It should come out clean by the time you have poured in the two quarts. If not, give it another quart.

AS SOON AS THE RESERVOIR IS EMPTY AND YOU HAVE NO MORE FLUID SIGNAL THE ASSISTANT TO TURN OFF THE IGNITION RIGHT THEN! You don't want to run the pump once the reservoir is empty.

With all that done, reconnect the return hose to the reservoir and fill the reservoir, now have the assistant repeat the engine running steering wheel turning process while you fill up the reservoir. Don't over fill.

This is the very best and safest way to flush the system, and should be done about every 50 or 60 thousand miles.

Hope this helps,
Old 11-24-2008, 11:16 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Vintage? it's a 94!!! ATF is a suitable replacement for power steering fluid.

Google is your friend. Your way is NOT the only way

Read on.....

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/power_steering.htm

Tools and materials required are minimal.

1) Good screwdriver (or a ¼ drive socket set)

2) At least a one-gallon jug to collect the purged oil. Preferably clean, to inspect the collected used oil.(Plastic Milk jug works for me)

3) 1 gallon of Ford Type F or Equivalent ATF. (I have found that for flushing, cheap works just fine)

Can't tell you how many times I have used ATF w/o issue.