5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Intake manifold Gasket leaking coolant

Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0stanger
I think Portmaster is saying there isn't a specfic gasket for aftermarket heads....just a generic gasket that sometimes need to be modified to work, like shown above. You have proven that felpro modifed a design to cover some of the mods people have been doing to make them work, but it still isn't a stick on application like Portmaster is saying.
Im saying that the gasket he had in the picture was for the early windsor with a 16 bolt intake. That is not the gasket for a later engine with a 12 bolt intake.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:32 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I think he knows that....atleast now he does anyway
Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
Im saying that the gasket he had in the picture was for the early windsor with a 16 bolt intake. That is not the gasket for a later engine with a 12 bolt intake.
It's the only one that would work for years. This one isn't trimmed yet. Once it's trimmed it looks like the other. It's just what had to be done. The S3 is the same gasket without the part that has to be trimmed. I didnt like having to do this but for years it was the ONLY way. It still works as well as the S3. Once it's trimmed you never know. The coolant passages line up, the ports line up and it seals. I buy these for 10 dollars a set. The S3 cost me 30 dollars a set. I don't mind the 5 minutes of work that turns them into S3s
Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Portmaster,

Where are you getting the 1262's for $10 a set? Cheapest ones I have bought was $25 bucks. I do live in a one horse town, but I would like to know where I can get my hands a few sets for that cheap. I would sell them for a profit here.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Portmaster,

Where are you getting the 1262's for $10 a set? Cheapest ones I have bought was $25 bucks. I do live in a one horse town, but I would like to know where I can get my hands a few sets for that cheap. I would sell them for a profit here.
When I had my shop I was a Fel-Pro dealer. I bought them 30 sets at the time. I can still buy from Fel-Pro but I can't afford the minimum order right now. health issues pretty much wiped me out but I still have about 10 sets of these left. I'll use them eventually. Between Social Security and what I make in my little Porting shop it's all I can do to get my own car together, lol
You can get them for 21 dollars through Summit Racing

I doubt anyone here would buy them, everybody says they won't work, lol
Old 11-27-2008, 10:18 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I was going to make a profit on them at the house, not on here. There are quite of few guys around the house with more money than mechanical abilities and pay to have things done to there cars.

On the first installation of my 1262 gaskets, I did trim all the stuff out of the water ports, but I didn't raise them up and tack in place like you showed me in the pics. I did order the 1262S-3 gasket set, but I am aware of my problem with gasket alignment thanks to your pictures and post and I will correct it when I install the Victor Jr. intake manifold.

I got a big race the on the 5th & 6th of Dec. and they changed my crew change day last hitch and now I don't get home until the 4th and it is going to be late by the time I get home. They have early test and tune and qualifying on the 4th, now I got to scramble home, change the intake manifold and gasket. Make sure it holds, load the car on the trailer and load out a tool box etc etc etc. And wake up and leave the house by 3am to make it to the track 235 miles away. I was some kind of pi$$ed off when I got the phone call 3 weeks ago saying my crew change day had changed. They didn't even ask us about what we thought or if we had plans. One guy on the other crew told them they either get him in on Wednesday or someone will be buying him a cruise. He had already bought it and was stuck with the shaft just like me. I pre-registered for this event 1.5 months ago or longer. I am working on a deal right now, trying to get in on Wednesday. I'm gonna use the same gripe as the guy on the relief crew used. Hopefully it works.