5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1994 Mustang GT OVERHEATING?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94MustangGT_302
OMG PORTMASTER I just re-read you first post about the radiator temp. You said, "You need to check the tempature across the radiator from one side to the other. If one side is extremly hot and the other side is cold the you have a radiator about stopped up. It will always be a bit cooler on one side to the other but it won't be like so hot on one side you can't touch it and Ice cold on the other. " Sounds like I have a radiator stopped up cause on the driver side its not ice cold but I think its pretty cold even with the fan on it should be a little warmer. Would a coolant flush fix this and how exactly would you recomend it to be done or anyone else for that matter ? I THINK THIS MIGHT FIX ME
Here is my opinion on a coolant flush. This is a another way that places like Jiffy lube rip off customers that come in with a heating problem. A cooling flush is a good idea far a cooling system that is in already good shape and is meant to maintain an already good cooling system. I had a BG coolant flush machine in my shop. I only used it on cars that had no problems just to get all the old coolant out and replaced with fresh coolant. I never sold a coolant flush to someone who had an overheating problem already. I found the problem, repaired that problem and then if they wanted a cooling system flush I sold it. If your radiator has deposits so bad that it's overheating the flush isn't going to do much for it. Beware if you get a cooling system flush and it's done right you may end up opening up a can of worms you arn't looking for. The chemical in the preflush part of the process will soften up deposits around expansion plugs and head gaskets and the flush sometimes cleans that out and you end up with leaks.

If you have heard the old saying "The only thing holding it together is the rust" holds water (pun intended) in this situation. If you have rusty, dirty coolant and you get it flushed get ready for the worst. Places like Jiffy Lube don't care if your car is still overheating when you leave because they fall back on the old "We don't do engine repairs" so they got their 120 dollars and youve been hung soaked to the tune of 120 dollars. IF you can't handle this one on you own find a repair shop with a good reputation and have them diagnose it for you.
The reason I use Jiffy lube as an example is when I had my shop I was next door to a jiffy lube. Sitting at my desk I could see the guys at the jiffy lube filling up Synthetic oil containers right out of their Reg bulk oil hose so the customer could see the Syn oil going into their cars. I saw them do transmission and coolant flushes without ever hooking up the machine. (I could see right through the bay doors of their shop). They would just throw the lines uder the hood and let it sit for 30 minutes while the customer paid 4 dollars a minute to watch a 13 inch TV. Beware beware beware!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 AM
94MustangGT_302

alright you right about that. Im going to tlak to a shop today. Thanks man wish me luck LOL
Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

If your radiator is clogged I doubt a flush will take car of it.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
94MustangGT_302

I will be talking with a shop this afternoon after work and letting them know what problems I am having and if they can fix. I will update this post when I get new info on what they tell me just in case it can help anyone else in the future. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:50 PM
94MustangGT_302

Just called a local shop and they pretty much told me I have done everything they could do and told me to call ford. LOL I guess they didnt need any work turning away business like that. I call ford and they sounded like they about fell out of there seat when I told them everything I have done but were willing to take a look at it the only problem is the dealership is 15 miles away and the car wont go that far. I am guessing I have done something so little and dumb that is causeing this problem. Is there anything I can back check that I might have done when replacing all the parts i have done??
Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94MustangGT_302
Just called a local shop and they pretty much told me I have done everything they could do and told me to call ford. LOL I guess they didnt need any work turning away business like that. I call ford and they sounded like they about fell out of there seat when I told them everything I have done but were willing to take a look at it the only problem is the dealership is 15 miles away and the car wont go that far. I am guessing I have done something so little and dumb that is causeing this problem. Is there anything I can back check that I might have done when replacing all the parts i have done??
Local shops don't like to diagnose over the phone. Lots of years of experinace and hard work just to give away the information over the phone. The sent you to a dealership because they didn't want to waste there time trying to help you figure it out when they arn't making any money. In the auto repair business time is money and it's rare that someone who really knows what may be wrong with your car answers the phone. I avoided the phone like the plague in my shop for that very reason.

look at it from a shop owners point of veiw. If you have someone on the phone asking what may be wrong with their car because you know they are going to wind up down at Advance auto parts and repair it themselves or talk to the person standing in the bay door wanting to get their car repaired which one would you talk to? The guy that use to run my office knew how to work up estimates,Was good at math and answer the phone. He could sell Ice cubes to an eskimo but when it came right down to it. He didn't know much of anything about cars to a professional point.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:00 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

look up a radiator shop. the one in my old 88 was 75% stopped up...... they charged me like 60 bucks to give it the good acid bath and clear it out
don't ask how it got that way cause thats just how it was when i got the car haha
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM
BAMA STANG

Default 1994 OVERHEATING

I HAVE A 1994 GT AND MINE WAS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING I DID A WATER PUMP, FLUSH RADIATOR, NEW THERMOSTAT WENT WITH A 180 DID HAVE A OE 192 TOP RADIATOR HOSE HAD PRESSURE BUT SEEM LIKE GOOD FLOW WENT BACK TO 192 THERMOSTAT SEEMS TO HAVE SOLVE THE PROBLEM TEMP STOPPED MOVING BACK AND FORTH MAINTAIN GOOD TEMP.THEY SAY A 180 MAKES THE WATER CIRCULATE TOO MUCH KEEPS A OPEN SYSTEM WATER WANT COOL AND FAN COMES ON TOO LATE WATER MOVES PASS SENSOR TOO MUCH.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 AM
BAMA STANG

Originally Posted by BAMA STANG
I HAVE A 1994 GT AND MINE WAS DOING THE EXACT SAME THING I DID A WATER PUMP, FLUSH RADIATOR, NEW THERMOSTAT WENT WITH A 180 DID HAVE A OE 192 TOP RADIATOR HOSE HAD PRESSURE BUT SEEM LIKE GOOD FLOW WENT BACK TO 192 THERMOSTAT SEEMS TO HAVE SOLVE THE PROBLEM TEMP STOPPED MOVING BACK AND FORTH MAINTAIN GOOD TEMP.THEY SAY A 180 MAKES THE WATER CIRCULATE TOO MUCH KEEPS A OPEN SYSTEM WATER WANT COOL AND FAN COMES ON TOO LATE WATER MOVES PASS SENSOR TOO MUCH.
THE PROBLEM ISNT SOLVED ITS STILL HAS LOTS PRESSURE ON RADIATOR HOSES, TEMP NOT RUNNING UP TOO BAD.TEXAS STANG PLEASE POST IF YOU SOLVED IT IM GOING NUTS.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by BAMA STANG
THE PROBLEM ISNT SOLVED ITS STILL HAS LOTS PRESSURE ON RADIATOR HOSES, TEMP NOT RUNNING UP TOO BAD.TEXAS STANG PLEASE POST IF YOU SOLVED IT IM GOING NUTS.
radiator hoses becoming stiff due to pressure build up is normal!! as long as temp is fine there is no cause for concern, A simple law of physics is at work in your cooling system!! as a liquid is heated it expands and when a liquid is heated under pressure it's boiling point is raised......once pressure reaches 16 lbs in a cooling system the relief valve will pop and allow excess/expanded coolant to enter the transfer tube going to the overflow bottle and once the car is shut off and cools down contraction occurs within the cooling system and creates a vaccum to draw coolant from overflow back into system and thus the happy cycle of a cooling system works as a tieter totter........

Quick Reply: 1994 Mustang GT OVERHEATING?????