5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what to expect with a 347

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I'm building my Car all at once as well. My engine makes 581hp and runs on pump gas. It's a bit radical for long trips but could still be used as a daily driver (which it won't) I'm installing a TCI C6 in my car. Now I've had countless people tell me how much power I'm going to lose Vs a C4. I don't really care about the 28 hp that I'll lose over the C4 because this is my car and I want it Bulletproof. I know what a C6 Can stand. I've had them hooked up behind big blocks making twice the torque my little 347 will make. The C4 is a good tranny and don't have a thing against them but I just like the C6 despite the added weight, poor header selection and tight fit. My car, My way. I also Have a Currie 9 inch rear ready to hang in it. I like the 8.8 as it just Fords Copy of the Chevy 12 Bolt rear. Is the Currie 9 inch overkill? Yep but when I'm done I won't hesitate to drive my car 100 miles, race it and drive it back home.

Bottom line is come up with a plan for what YOU want before you start. Be realistic in your plan because no car can do it all and do it best. I'm building my car for Street/Strip so you won't see me carving up the corners of deals gap in it or running autoX in it. My car won't see any long distance driving but one reason for the 9 inch rear was so I could make a quick gear swap and hit the Hot Rod Power Tour. Thats a lot of fun and I've been three times but other than that it will only see local action.

Just give it some real thought as to how you want to use your car. Figure out what accessories you want to run on it as well to come up with your plan. You don't want a Huge duration cam if you plan of keeping those power brakes. But like I said before be realistic in what you really want and how you intend to use the car. I use to have my customers sit down and talk to me and discuss what they wanted in their car.

Well I want an car that runs 9's and I can drive my kid back and forth to his mothers in New York on the weekends (700 miles). Thats unrealistic expectaions. A nice mid 12 second car that can do that is a little more realistic and still keep all the factory comforts and accessories and be a blast to drive. It isn't fun having to work on your daily driver everyday. It gets really expensive really fast and will frustrate you right into a dodge Caravan, lol
Old 11-29-2008, 07:31 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Wow, the wisdom in this thread just keeps comin'.

There are some basics that you can learn from this thread:

To begin with, the point has been made well that you should decide up front what you are seeking from the car. If you want a gazillion high RPM horsepower then start planning for that goal. If you're looking for a more torquey street motor, then state your plan and don't lose sight of the goal.

Once the decision is made as to what you are looking for the next important point is to put together the right COMBINATION. What I mean by that is, make sure all the components work together and complement each other. As an example, don't use a short duration low lift cam and then top it off with a high RPM, single plane intake.

SOOoooo....... I think you have lots of good experience to draw from the participants in this thread. It is now up to you to state your goal for the car so that these guys can get down to specifics.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
steelcowboy

I just ordered mine today its an all forged solid cam monster rated at over 500hp. But thats a $7500 engine. And I had to buy a TKO 600 to back it up making it a 10000 engine lol. Like many people have said it all comes down to how much your looking for and how much you want to spend.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:26 PM
jeff_the_dj

ok all this info is great (way more than i expected ) ok i am a realist I want a low 12.XX car that I can still drive as a daily but wont its a 5 speed and all my friends tell me to put forged pistons and gt 40 heads and intake and 150 shot where will that put me in the 1/4 everyone is saying 12s?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeff_the_dj
ok all this info is great (way more than i expected ) ok i am a realist I want a low 12.XX car that I can still drive as a daily but wont its a 5 speed and all my friends tell me to put forged pistons and gt 40 heads and intake and 150 shot where will that put me in the 1/4 everyone is saying 12s?
Well I'm going to give you some advice and I'm sure I'll get some neg comments on it. If you have deep pockets by all means go with the Nitrous but I had a sign in my shop that I had made from a saying I saw on the web years ago.

"NITROUS IS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH AIDS..DON'T HIT IT UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED FOR THE WORST"

No engine is Nitrous proof and it your goal is to get in the 12's you can do it easy without the juice. I filled Nitrous bottles when I had my shop and had so many of these guys bringing me the busted pistons, twisted rods and broken parts because of it. For every guy who has made 100 succesful passes on it there a 5 a smoked engine. They don't make a good enough piston for nitrous.
My engine is built for it but I'm not sure I'll ever use it because I have 11,000 dollars in the engine (from oil pan to carb and from flexplate to fluidampr) and my pockets are pretty shallow now so I may have to refrain myself.

I bet there are very few people who use Nitrous that when they arm the system and get ready to smack their motor that wonder if this is going to be the time something goes wrong and there magic combo is going to grenade.

Food for thought
Old 12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
jeff_the_dj

lol yea thanks all I hear are all good things like "its the cheapest horsepower" . But I dont have deep pockets lol just want a fun street car thats respectable on the streets
Old 12-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeff_the_dj
lol yea thanks all I hear are all good things like "its the cheapest horsepower" . But I dont have deep pockets lol just want a fun street car thats respectable on the streets
You would be surprized just how respectable a TRUE low 13 second car really is on the street. I've embarased some "11 second" cars with my wifes car

Hell I embarased a "Claimed" 11.50 car with my wifes 07 Nitro R/T (6 cyl auto). lol My point being that there are a lot of dreamers out there that hype their cars.

Last edited by Portmaster; 12-03-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:22 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
Y there are a lot of dreamers out there that hype their cars.
Thats for sure
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM
RICEBORDEAUX
2nd Gear Member

I bought mine from my buddy and only paid 1700 and a computer for it
now I have a 89gt with a brand new ford racing 347 with aliminum heads
and trickflow intake that was never even drove. The up side I had to do alot
of little things to get it to run right and so as soon as I did the T-5 crashed on
me but before it did I took a 2000 chevy camaro supercharged out and
wore his *** out bad real bad and with a stock suspension and no tune. I love
mine and I was going to change the heads and came but I am going to leave the
car the way it is since I having to spend about 3000 on this AOD that I am having built.
Next summer I plan on putting the drag radials on and the 150 shot of nitrous they
say that I had to have hidden somewhere to whoop that camaro and he said he was pushing over 550hp but I am not sure but I know he couldn't hook out the hole and he got left.lololol
347 WAY TO GO and I can drive the car anywhere....
Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Spining aint winning, lol

Quick Reply: what to expect with a 347