5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Gears

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
lx5.0
2nd Gear Member

yeah i know thats the reason i wanted to do it myself, by reading so many write ups i think i can do it myself but like i said since i dont have proper lift or tools, ill take it back and stand next to him if i have to, to show him how its done. Ill let you all know tomorrow what happens
Old 12-01-2008, 05:40 PM
lx5.0
2nd Gear Member

so i took my car back to that shop so they can tight the pinion nut tighther. When i get there the owner comes up to me and i tell him i think the pinion nut needs to be more tight cause the yoke feels loose still, so then the owner started telling me that they tight it as hard as they can even the mechanic came and was telling me he tight it down with a 150 pound torque air tool, and i told him that it still needs more and then the owner started telling its because the gears are for racing and i have to change my spider gears for those gears, i guess cause he read on box it said ford racing thats why he started telling me they are for racing. So then owner got kinda upset and said lift car up check it out, so they start looking at it and they tried to tight it again with the air tool and i kept telling him he needs to use a torque bar now, then another mechanic came and told me that air tool works like a torque bar, so i kept telling him it needs more than that air tool like about 200 to 400 pounds of torque, and they started laughing making me feel stupid but i knew i was right. So then they started telling me its just my rear end thats messed up already because of so many peels outs and also because its 4 lug and blah blah blah blah, those guys didnt even try with torque bar they said the screw will break if they go more than that. So then they just put everything back together again and so i found this other shop that im real cool with and told him if he can tight down the nut. He went ahead and lifted car and tight the nut how it was suppose to and there you go no more play in pinion. I dont think those other mechanics knew anything about rear ends, i dont even think they knew what the crush sleeve was. The loud whine that would come when downshifting or slowing down is gone now. Sorry its kinda long
Old 12-01-2008, 07:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

wow , what a bunch of idiots!!..like I said they should never of been working on the rear end!!!......as for why they were so stupid and couldn't crush the collar... the ford racing gears come with a really heavy duty crush collar and it is a **** to crush by hand, I usually set the heavy duty one aside and use a factory ford original or a ratech one that is not as hard to crush, the only down side is you have to take it little by little cause it won't take much more than 150 ft lbs to start he crush on them......done it tons of times
Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Oh its even worse than that!!! just torquing down the pinion nut and crushing the crush sleeve has to been done just the right amount...but measuring pinion prepload with an INCH-POUNDS torque wrench. If they dont have a clue what the hell this means, they cant get your gears installed right.
And you should not have any lengthwise slack in the pinion; rotationally, you'll get a little clunking (backlash), but you should not be able to move the pinion flange in and out!