MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Can someone explain how a Tweecer works (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/501415-can-someone-explain-how-a-tweecer-works.html)

vogs77 12-01-2008 06:11 PM

Can someone explain how a Tweecer works

Is this something that I can do myself. What kind of information am I going to need. Do I need an air fuel ratio guage to use this. I am not familiar with any kind of custom tuning on my car. Any information would be great. Do I have to take it to a dyno to use this? Thanks for any help.

94StinkinLincoln 12-01-2008 07:27 PM

i have a Tweecer R/T. dont bother with the base model.
you can do it yourself... but it takes alot of reading and learning and tinkering to get it right. it will take you a long time to get good at, but imo its worth it in the end.
an a/f gauge is a very good idea, you can calculate the a/f ratio via the fuel trims but its 100x easier to use the gauge. AEM, PLX, and Innovative are the ones to use.
the great thing about it is, you dont need a dyno, the street or track is the "dyno."
now you can tune it on the dyno just the same. you hook your laptop to the tweecer which is hooked to the pcm, you datalog info while your driving and then review that info and make changes accordingly.
EEC Analyzer and Binary Editor are great tools to have, they are a great deal easier to use vs CalEdit and Calcon that comes with the tweecer. (Caledit and calcon are free to download and use, also. just look up tweecer in google and you will find the download. EA and BE are $55 each now, free to use w/ limited access)

im not super duper know it all...yet lol
a buddy has one and knows ALOT and hes the one that helps me out.
Stangnet and SBFTECH are 2 good places to get some info, (talk to Stanger007 and Joel5.0)
you can get a good laptop for about $300-$350 off ebay. buy a spare battery!
a toughbook is the cream of corn imo, very durable and can see easy during the day in light, but they arent real cheap.
the tweecer was $525 from Mustang Freaks when i bought it, everyone else was $550.
MAKE SURE TO NOT UNPLUG ANYTHING THAT ATTACHES TO THE TWEECER WITH THE KEY ON, it will fry it. i think it cost me about $50-75 to fix when mine died. (the car wouldnt start easy and would not idle and ran like junk, removed the tweecer and it ran perfect)

Laptop $350
Tweecer $525
EA & BE $110
WideBand $350

Grand Total of $1,335

it might be worth it for you to just go to a knowledgeable dyno shop and have them burn you a tune for about $400-500.

if you have any questions, just ask.

dudeboy 12-01-2008 10:30 PM

EA and BE are worth every penny...

You can get by without the WB O2 for a while, but you don't want to try tuning WOT/OL without a WB.
I would say pass on the O2 gauge, as the datalogs will tell you plenty... and you will have an O2 display on the laptop screen real time.

The cheapest WB O2 is probably the LC-1 from Innovate; ~ $200
(Still has the ability to simulate the stock NB)

Other than that...
There is a learning curve.
I spent the week after ordering it reading everything I could on the 'net. When the tweecer was delivered I was able to dive in and change some of the simple stuff; CID, Idle speed, etc.

If the car runs fairly well on the stock ecu, then you can take the tune in stages and learn as you go.

If you have the patience, are computer literate, and understand engine basics, then you should do fairly well.

www.eectuning.org is another great resource.

I suggest downloading the free versions of BE and EA to play with them.

jason

94StinkinLincoln 12-01-2008 10:32 PM

sameseed101 on here knows his junk too!

ctgreddy 12-01-2008 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by 94StinkinLincoln (Post 5707742)
sameseed101 on here knows his junk too!

when i saw the title of the thread thats the first person I thought of. Other than a week or 2 ago tho he hasn't been on in quite a while.

vogs77 12-02-2008 07:01 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I will try to do a little more research on this. I have the auto side of the knowlwedge releating to all of the engine parameters and what they mean. I have been a Toyota master tech for the last 8 years. Where my knolwedge lacks is in the computer side of things. When you say AE and BE are very useful, I have never heard of these. I am going to try to go and find these on line and dowload one of them and mess with it alittle bit. I am ok with the computer but no wizzard by anymeans. I have a few more months before I am going to need to make changes on my car. The motor will be coming out in the late spring hopefully for upgrades. What kind of inputs will be needed for using this...injector size, what kid of mass air info is needed, etc?
Thanks again

dudeboy 12-02-2008 07:24 PM

Most aftermarket MAF meters are either sold with a MAF Transfer, or you can find a good starting point on line.

What mods will you be doing to the engine? That will determine what you want to start out doing...

EA & BE can be found here...
http://www.eecanalyzer.net/

EA is a datalog analysis software tool.
BE is the software that allows you to read and write to the tweecer module.

Also, there is a link in my sig to a site called TunExchange.
This was created and is maintained by Wes (stanger007).
From this site you can download all parameters for some common hardware changes...
It works pretty slick as it has been fully integrated into BE...
This is a feature you won't find with CalEdit/CalCon

NoGo95GT 12-02-2008 07:33 PM

There is a lot of reading. However, it's a great tool. I just ordered my wideband(LM-2) and am going to get a bung welded in within the next week. A good thing about the Tweecer is there is a huge support network. You can download tunes from over the internet. I got my base SC tune from a guy named Wes(he's on Stangnet a lot, real smart guy) and had it modified a bit. Also, I got a Lightning MAF and was able to download the Lightning MAF curve within a minute. Car idles and runs like stock. The only problem with Tweecer, is if you are not careful, it can damage your motor. You basically control everything(shift points, fuel curves, MAF, etc.). Start with small things and build yourself up to more complicated tunes as you get comfortable.

94StinkinLincoln 12-02-2008 07:36 PM

wes is a great friend of mine, super smart.
he is Stanger007 on stangnet.
Joel5.0 is on here and SBFTech and he knows a ton also.

NoGo95GT 12-02-2008 07:56 PM

Yeah Lincoln, when I first joined this sight I thought you were Wes because I knew you were from LA and had an auto Mustang like him. Plus you know your stuff and was familiar with the Tweecer. Then I saw your NA combo. I think Wes has a pretty mild setup w/a Vortech but runs some killer times(12.4?).

One neat thing with the Tweecer is it's much more useful than Anderson's PMS and at half the cost. Although I have heard that the PMS is more learner-friendly, with some preloaded tunes.