5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Factory appearing headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Default Factory appearing headers

I am trying to keep my car as stock appearing/sounding as possible, but at the same time I am trying to bring up the power some. I am looking for headers but I dont want to have headers that look as if they could not have come from the factory. Does anyone know of such headers that would appear factory?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:05 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

nope and good luck trying to get power with out changing the aperance of stuff. why do you want to keep it stock looking anyway?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

unequal shorties will be your best bet. but like hack said, why?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you wont find headers in the aftermarket that are smashed up and mangled. so no on the headers.

however you can witch your HCI and still look stock.

cobra u/l intake is a stock intake
cam you'll never see
GT40/GT40p/351/289 heads you wouldnt be able to tell a diff unless you realllllly know what you're looking for.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
you wont find headers in the aftermarket that are smashed up and mangled. so no on the headers.

however you can witch your HCI and still look stock.

cobra u/l intake is a stock intake
cam you'll never see
GT40/GT40p/351/289 heads you wouldnt be able to tell a diff unless you realllllly know what you're looking for.
Ok

The cobra intake never came stock on my car, so its not going to fit the criteria

The heads, wont fool the trained eye, so they don’t fit the criteria

The cam, unless I get something very mild, is going to sound different so that would give it away.

I just prefer to have a factory looking car that performs not so factory. One thing I dislike about fox mustangs and mustangs in general is everyone has one. Almost everything has been done so you can be guaranteed someone else has your car. I like having a more or less unique car. This is a great way to accomplish that.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Get some JBA unequal length headers...the best!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:11 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slo5oh
Ok

The cobra intake never came stock on my car, so its not going to fit the criteria

The cam, unless I get something very mild, is going to sound different so that would give it away.

I just prefer to have a factory looking car that performs not so factory. One thing I dislike about fox mustangs and mustangs in general is everyone has one. Almost everything has been done so you can be guaranteed someone else has your car. I like having a more or less unique car. This is a great way to accomplish that.
but if it looks factory..... it'll preform like a FACTORY car.........
Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by Slo5oh
Ok

even trained eyes would have to look to see the difference in the heads. there is a ton of crap in the way and most of the time when i look (i know what the different heads look like) i just say, ok cast heads. if i really cared i would be able to tell.

cobra intake be not be stock for your car but you were asking about factory parts...its a factory part. my b cam added a lil performance and you can barely hear a lope and with the flows it just sounds like another mustang. ive heard plenty of cammed cars that sound stock.

sounds like you want to use the same stock crap but make it perform slightly better. you are kind of limited on what you can do. can can degree your cam, put on 1.7 rockers, port out your stock heads, port match the intake, change out the air meter to a bigger one. in an electric fan inside the stock shroud. underdrive pullies, bump your timing and run premium gas.

most of that stuff will look entirely stock but it will make you perform better.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
even trained eyes would have to look to see the difference in the heads. there is a ton of crap in the way and most of the time when i look (i know what the different heads look like) i just say, ok cast heads. if i really cared i would be able to tell.

cobra intake be not be stock for your car but you were asking about factory parts...its a factory part. my b cam added a lil performance and you can barely hear a lope and with the flows it just sounds like another mustang. ive heard plenty of cammed cars that sound stock.

sounds like you want to use the same stock crap but make it perform slightly better. you are kind of limited on what you can do. can can degree your cam, put on 1.7 rockers, port out your stock heads, port match the intake, change out the air meter to a bigger one. in an electric fan inside the stock shroud. underdrive pullies, bump your timing and run premium gas.

most of that stuff will look entirely stock but it will make you perform better.
yea thats pritty much the idea so far.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Port the factory heads, move up a valve size, mill them and unshroud the intake valve , new springs,port the factory intake (lots of work there), bevel the inside of the throttle body, throw in a XE264HR cam from Comp, buy a set of Summit Shorty headers and add a small dent here and there and sandblast the finish off, tape off the tubes and spray them down with water and let the weather a few days then install them. Put a set of steel underdrive pulleys on it. It will look bone stock, sound stock and run way better.

Last edited by Portmaster; 12-02-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Factory appearing headers