5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Rear Suspention Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Default Rear Suspention Suggestions

Ok here the deal. My 85 Notch is my first Fox Body major Project. I'm lost as to what kind of rear suspension to go with so I'll give you some information and I'm wide open to suggetions. The car will make in the neighborhood of 500 rwhp. It will be a limited street driver and see some strip duty. I would like the car to have an adjustable ride height where I can load one side tighter than the other. I have the rear torque boxes welded up but anything else I can do to make it stronger I'd like to hear about it. This will all be hooked to a Currie 9 inch rear special built for fox bodies. This will be a straight line car with the only corners will be at low speeds.

I have Hotchkis suspention on my wifes 03 and it's OK but I want to really be able to get this thing to hook. Any suggestions will be appreciated

Last edited by Portmaster; 12-06-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

*cough* its suspension

did you not check the links i sent you
Old 12-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jasperstang308
*cough* its suspension

did you not check the links i sent you
Suspension, lol ( spelled my name wrong yesterday) Told you it was my weak point, lol

Yeah I tried but it would send me to one site after another. I'm looking for some people who have tried and true setups.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:12 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I run a chassis engineering lower control arm and there adj. upper with strange front struts and some cheap race shock in the rear. adj. the pinion angle and run a set of ET streets and was getting 1.50 60 fts. but I am sure you will be looking for better with your setup. I was having a bad time of it rolling over on the right rear tire but I have not had the problem since I went with the turbo set up as I don't have any kind of 60s now LOL. Till I put a trans break in the car. Check out Base Line suspension they have or did have a very informative site on how to find the instant center on the car and get it set up some.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Thank You
Old 12-06-2008, 04:49 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

hey Port where in SC you at I been wanting to move down there for years just kids and life and all the stuff I have has kept me from doing it.and now the housing market is real bad guess I should have took the money and ran when we had a chance to sell but maybe in the next few years.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
hey Port where in SC you at I been wanting to move down there for years just kids and life and all the stuff I have has kept me from doing it.and now the housing market is real bad guess I should have took the money and ran when we had a chance to sell but maybe in the next few years.
I'm in the Myrtle Beach Area. Economy sucks here right now. Tourist towns dont do well when people can't afford to go on vacation.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

that's where I want to be about 1/2 hour in we looked in Conway and Loris at some land. but we still have not made the jump yet. and don't think we will till the housing market gets better. cuz I am not giving away my place and my moms heath is getting bad so if we do move she will be coming with us and then I will have 2 houses and 10 acres to sell that should get me enough to pay cash for a house down there and work when I want to LOL.. things still growing like mad down there?
Old 12-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
that's where I want to be about 1/2 hour in we looked in Conway and Loris at some land. but we still have not made the jump yet. and don't think we will till the housing market gets better. cuz I am not giving away my place and my moms heath is getting bad so if we do move she will be coming with us and then I will have 2 houses and 10 acres to sell that should get me enough to pay cash for a house down there and work when I want to LOL.. things still growing like mad down there?
Conway and Loris are both within 20 minutes of the beach with the roads we have now. If you were going to buy a house nows the time. A friend of mine is a contractor who has like 6 new houses right now he's trying to unload. Lots of repo's around here now.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

500 hp drag racing is pretty tough on a stock style suspension. You can keep modifying it, replacing parts, and throwing money at it. But it will never be all that you want it to be. The stock design just isn't good enough for that specific purpose.

Spend the bux and time now, and just put a full frame and cage on the car. You'll end up doing it later. It's cheaper and easier to do it now.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspention Suggestions