5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How long will these 5.0's last?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I've seen a lot of 5.0 with well over 200K roll through my shop. I bought a new Town car in 1987 When I gave it to my son in 1997 it had 245K on the clock and the valve covers had never been off of it. My son drove it for three years and I don't know how many miles he put on it after that but I know he drove it a lot and he never did anything to it. It was running great when he traded it in. It got Mobil1 from the first oil change and was changed +- every 5000 miles. Like anything else I think how well you maintain it determines how well it last.
I know one guy who has a 1970 Torino. He bought it brand new with 5 miles on the clock. He has driven it nearly every day since he bought it 39 years ago and as far as I know it's had two valve jobs and about 6 water pumps but the bottom end is all original. I shutter to think how many times that odometer has flipped over in that thing. It's still his primary transpotation an he drove it to VT last christmas. He takes great care of the car and it looks almost as good as it did the day I took him to pick it up new. It was his graduation present to himself from money he saved baging groceries at the Winn-Dixie for three years after school.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:09 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Although I'm a Mustang guy and have owned several, my favorite smallblock will always be the Dodge 340. The 87-93 '302 is a very close second and can take a ton of punishment so don't sweat it just treat it with loving care to offset the abuse...
Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

How long is a rope? That's a question that is framed in the same way as the question in the original post.

A rope might be five feet long if used for a piggin' string, or 35 feet long if used for a lariat. An engine might not last until it's warmed up good, or it might go a million miles. It's almost totally determined by two things; how it's maintained and how it's driven.

Today's engines regardless of brand or size or configuration are ALL long lived. The reason?????...... Electronic Fuel Injection! There are several other less important factors that improve todays engine life, but EFI is BY FAR the most dramatic.

With EFI, you don't have a choke on a carburetor that is mostly not working properly or misused. Even if the choke is working properly, you are still dribbling raw fuel droplets down the cylinder walls during cold starts washing all the oil off the cylinder walls.

Additionally, EFI under most all driving conditions, while in closed loop mode, maintains a constant air/fuel ratio. Thanks to knock sensors, the system also prevents preignition which is a SERIOUS engine destroyer.

Add to EFI, the less dramatic of todays improvements including better lubricants, more precise parts machining and improved cylinder/piston/ring material packages, among a few other things and you have engines with the capability to last forever if maintained properly.

BTW, the highest miles I've ever put on an engine is 533K miles. If you're curious, it is a Mercedes diesel. The reason for the long life of diesel engines is a whole different story.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Anywhoo...the 5.0 is a durable motor. The benz diesel can be explained at length in the appropriate forums..zz...zzz....zzzzm...
Old 12-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I sold my '88 GT with 223k miles on it and was still running strong!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

As long as you are not pushing the 500hp limit of these blocks down the track they will run forever. My brothers had over 200k on his and he beat the hell out of it. When he pulled it, still running strong but with a little vibration, it had a bent rod. Still could have gotten another 100k out of it if he really wanted to.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 AM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

my car reads like 175000kms but carfax says over 300kms(....did carfax after I bought it). It runs like a top but burns/leaks a fair bit of oil. But the engine makes no weird ticking or knocks so I am not too worried a little bit of oil never hurt anybody. Still the fastest car at my school so I'm happy.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:26 AM
white93pony
3rd Gear Member

mine has over 200k burns no oil, runs great, has over 130 cranking compression... with just bolt ons and slicks it runs a 9.0 in the 1/8 and 14.0 in the 1/4.....
Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 AM
bpark8824
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MBDiagMan
How long is a rope? That's a question that is framed in the same way as the question in the original post.

A rope might be five feet long if used for a piggin' string, or 35 feet long if used for a lariat. An engine might not last until it's warmed up good, or it might go a million miles. It's almost totally determined by two things; how it's maintained and how it's driven.

Today's engines regardless of brand or size or configuration are ALL long lived. The reason?????...... Electronic Fuel Injection! There are several other less important factors that improve todays engine life, but EFI is BY FAR the most dramatic.

With EFI, you don't have a choke on a carburetor that is mostly not working properly or misused. Even if the choke is working properly, you are still dribbling raw fuel droplets down the cylinder walls during cold starts washing all the oil off the cylinder walls.

Additionally, EFI under most all driving conditions, while in closed loop mode, maintains a constant air/fuel ratio. Thanks to knock sensors, the system also prevents preignition which is a SERIOUS engine destroyer.

Add to EFI, the less dramatic of todays improvements including better lubricants, more precise parts machining and improved cylinder/piston/ring material packages, among a few other things and you have engines with the capability to last forever if maintained properly.

BTW, the highest miles I've ever put on an engine is 533K miles. If you're curious, it is a Mercedes diesel. The reason for the long life of diesel engines is a whole different story.
Not all modern motors last long. Drive a Dodge and you will find that out.

But a guy down the street had one and it would roast the tires at 225k with out a problem.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:56 AM
rmcmich

I have 95 5.0 with over 150,000 miles. Rear main leaks but still runs strong.

Quick Reply: How long will these 5.0's last?