5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help with Valvetrain Problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:39 AM
88bluethunder

Default Help with Valvetrain Problems!!!!!

OK, so I got a little 302 with GT40P Heads and the FRPP 1.6 rollers on them and a FRPP
B-Cam. a few months ago i notices the valve train getting louder and louder with a pretty harsh ticking coming from them. so i figured OK, well maybe they are outta adjustment. once i realized they are non-adjustable i bought the Shim Kit from summit to try and make a difference, well upon taking it all apart i decided to have a look at my lifters and i noticed one was cracked on the inside ( #8 cylinder exhaust side ) so i got new lifters from ford. Well i pulled the old lifters to put the new ones in and noticed that the old ones are about a 1/2 to 3/4 of a cm longer than the OEM lifters from ford. SO, the question is without knowing what kind of lifters these longer ones are, how do i replace all this and fix the problem?? Can I put the OEM lifters in and run fine with those possibly having to adjust the rockers with the Shim Kit?, or will i need to measure out new push-rods??? keep in mind I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but valvetrain is something I'm still learning on and this is my first stang... so go easy on me. I'm in the military and i'm due to go home for the holidays in a few days, so I'm looking for a quick, easy, CHEAP solution... thanx
Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Can you post a picture of the two lifters?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
88bluethunder

Old 12-08-2008, 04:38 PM
88bluethunder

hows this??? i tried to take a picture of the lifter that is messed up, but i couldn't get my camera to focus in enough.. its broken internally, i'm quess from the pushrod bounceing on it.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:41 PM
88bluethunder

oh and the one on the left is the factory OEM replacement, and the right is the mystery lifter thats in the car now...
Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I wish I could give you an accurate answer but I can't I don't remember seeing a lifter exactly like the one on the right. Although it looks well made it looks very heavy. Looks can be deceptive though. Check the depth of the pushrod cup on one of the good lifters to see how it compares to the new lifter. The cup should be sitting deeper in lifter on the old ones. Can you take a Micrometer or caliper and see if they both measure .875. If they measure the same and the cup sits at the same height then it should be a drop in repair. make sure to replace the pushrod. If the cup broke it has beat the pushrod up.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:11 PM
88bluethunder

Well just by sight, the old one's cup is still just a hair higher than the OEM but i aint sure how much, i'll check it, and get an accurate number tomorrow at work and get back with you. if the difference is off by only .100 or so, can i still us the new ones??
Old 12-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88bluethunder
Well just by sight, the old one's cup is still just a hair higher than the OEM but i aint sure how much, i'll check it, and get an accurate number tomorrow at work and get back with you. if the difference is off by only .100 or so, can i still us the new ones??
You can use the new ones if thats the case but you would have to use a +.100 pushrod if the pushrod was the right length to begin with.
Place the new lifter in and bring the cam around on the base circle (lowest part) and put a dab of grease on top of the valve stem. Place a push rod and rocker arm on and bolt it down. Check to make sure the wheel on your roller rocker hits in the center of the valve stem with about .030-.040 preload in the lifter. If you not there you will need a differant length poshrods.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:20 PM
88bluethunder

thanx alot man, i'll give it a try this weekend. i gotta get this thing goin before i go on leave. I can always get a plane ticket, but drivin my car is always more fun. plus i gotta a little rivalry goin on with one of my buddies who's got a 94 331. he's got more motor, but less driving skill.. i'll repost if i have any further problems, again thank you.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 PM
88bluethunder

well i checked the differences between the two with a micrometer and the mytery lifters are at 2.302 and the Replacement ones are at 2.254 not much of difference but how will that effect this whole process??

Quick Reply: Help with Valvetrain Problems!!!!!