5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Start and Die - Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:23 AM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Default Start and Die - Fuel Pump?

I had a split hose the other day. Replaced it, and now she runs like ****. Won't even run. Starts and dies. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key. Could it go bad and I still be able to hear it>? Should I start at the fuel filter>? Also trying to test pressure, but my gauge is only 15psi. I need another gauge I guess?

thanks for any imput
Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you need a gauge for efi systems that'll measure at least up to 50-60 psi, spec should be around 35 in your car, autozone sells a proper gauge
Old 12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

I checked there, they only have one for 15psi, i'll have to go to pep boys or something. I replaced the the regulator, didn't fix anything, but couldn't get one of the screws back in. Will this cause any damage or mess with the fuel system, only having two screws in (there tight)?? Going to put it back in time, its just a real pain.

also pulled a excessive fuel code. when I shut off the fuel switch in the trunk, it dies instantly, only ran for about 3seconds. This makes me think its not getting enough fuel. Either way its up and down, never getting a steady idle and just way off the normal.

Last edited by -SHIFTY-; 12-09-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check sears...2 screws will work for now but fix it Asap
Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
check sears...2 screws will work for now but fix it Asap
I hate it that its like that, but you need to damn near pull the intake off to get them back in. It was a real pain.

Sears - good idea
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

OK you said "I had a split hose" If this was a coolant hose you prob just have some coolant in the dist cap. If it was a coolant hose take the dist cap off shoot it with some WD-40 and hit the road. Be more specific. You may be chasing your tail
Old 12-19-2008, 05:45 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Fuel hose, I replaced it, pressure was good. Still runs like crap. Goodyear nor I could figure it out. Time for a new motor I think. Just to much going on with it. Thinking of a carb re-build.

Beautiful 4Eye...
Old 12-19-2008, 07:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by WHT5.0
Fuel hose, I replaced it, pressure was good. Still runs like crap. Goodyear nor I could figure it out. Time for a new motor I think. Just to much going on with it. Thinking of a carb re-build.

Beautiful 4Eye...
perform a compression test first and make sure all cylinders are capable of good cumbustion
Old 01-03-2009, 01:35 PM
-SHIFTY-
2nd Gear Member

Compression test done

115 - 120
I did have one that was putting out 140

Still running like complete crap. With all my emissions stuff out except for teh EGR what should I do, buy a EGR eliminator. Can you get computers configured to not have any emissions (Smog, EGR etc.)

I'm now debating on what to do with this car. There is some rust, not real bad, little in the driver side floorboard. Little in the door jam, front left fender. I think if I do a motor swap I could definitely get most all cleaned up. The interior could use an overhaul with new everything, so wen I yank the carpet I could take care of the floorboards. Pretty sure its the K-Tube in the front suspension that is pretty rusted along with some other minor stuff. But my question is now, is this body and frame worth getting into. I have about 4K invested in the car now. Will post pics if it will help.

All in all, I have this car and looking to replace everything, motor, interior, suspension. Is it worth it, or should I sell - wouldn't get much out of it now, and then save and buy a solid one>>>?? Any opinions and input is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Please get us a pic of your engine bay and the hose.

Also, did you replace more than one hose?

Quick Reply: Start and Die - Fuel Pump?