5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Smog Eliminator Kit SN95 (95)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:25 PM
jjcsr74
1st Gear Member

Default Smog Eliminator Kit SN95 (95)

I purchased a cheap (inexpensive high mileage, great shape!) 95 stang recently for my daily driver to reduce the yearly mileage on my 06, however the last 95 i owned was over 10 years ago and was supercharged by powerdyne (remember them, no i didn't think so?)...im trying to go inexpensive (cheap) for slight mods, just to make it more peppy. i bought an x pipe which i thought was for a 95, but after installing it i realized it didn't have the fitting for the hose from the recirculator...the hose that feeds air to the cats. I live in Massachusetts, smog central...however its old enough that they don't sniff test, as long as there are no engine lights. My brother in law is a mechanic and just cut the pipe off that fed the cats and said don't worry about it? it makes a hissing noise on the gas (i assume because the air is just be pumped into the atmosphere instead of the exhaust pipes). No check engine lights exist. Has anybody done this before? would it be beneficial to weld in a bung and route the line to the exhaust, replace the inexpensive xpipe or purchase a smog eliminator to gain even more HP...My BIL states eliminate the smog pump and run a short belt, but I'm worried it will trigger lights, any feedback from those of you who have done it would be greatly appreciated! if i eliminate the smog pump, what about all the hoses that come with it...the more details the better. Thanks...
Old 12-10-2008, 06:33 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

not sure about sn95s but on my 1990 i just deleted the entire slog system and the car ran better than ever. you will need this (follow link) to prevent any check engine lights.
http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=9
Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I deleted my smog pump a couple years ago and i currently run a short belt. No lights, nothing. no part of the smog pump is controlled by computer so the car doesn't know if it's there or not. If you want to remove all the piping you will be left with a hole in the rear of each cylinder head that you will need to plug. Other than that there are like maybe 2 small lines you need to plug, which i just screwed in a screw to plug them.