5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stock forged 4" pistons

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 PM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

Default stock forged 4" pistons

Can anyone tell me which model/year 5.0s or 351s have the strongest pistons? I've heard that the 92- 5.0 H.O.'s had 'cast' forged pistons but the 86-87 5.0s had a real forged piston???

can anyone verify this? I'm looking for something to go in my 351w with a 4.000 bore.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Night Terror
2nd Gear Member

87-92 Pistons were TRW Forged Pistons... they can take a good beating... if the tune on the car is spot on... the pistons will hold out more then the block it self... 93 Pistons were Cast ?Aluminum? Hypertuitec pistons... i would suggest against running a power adder with a hypertuetic piston or any cast non forged piston for that matter...

I am not 100% sure if a stock 5.0 piston will work on a 351... it might but you will definately need a different rod! at that point better off doing a brand new forged assembly
Old 12-11-2008, 12:35 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

u can use stock 351 w rods and 302 pistons and a 3.850 stroke crank to make a stroked 351 windsor
Old 12-11-2008, 12:38 AM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Why not buy a set of speed pro's?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:05 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

In addition to 87-92 H.O. forgings, Im pretty sure 85 And 86 H.O. were forged too, but the 86 are flat with no reliefs...and might cause some problems or might be exactly what you need
but its true they are strong and will last... Im re-using pistons and block from 1989 5.0 mustang with 150,000+ theys speced out within tolarance to reuse...

Last edited by Hamutoff; 12-11-2008 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:49 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Yes, the 85 was a banner year. They made lots of changes that began the march forward for the improvement of the 5.0.

In 85 they began with the forged pistons, the roller cam, the double roller timing chain and the tubing headers(for what they were worth.)

In 86 they carried it further when they siamesed the cylinder walls for strength. At the time I never thought that the siamesed cylinders would work out, but they did.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by decipha
Can anyone tell me which model/year 5.0s or 351s have the strongest pistons? I've heard that the 92- 5.0 H.O.'s had 'cast' forged pistons but the 86-87 5.0s had a real forged piston???

can anyone verify this? I'm looking for something to go in my 351w with a 4.000 bore.
Why would you even consider a used piston? As far as putting a 302 pistons in a 351 it's not an interchagable part even though they have the same bore. You would have to use a stroker crank to use those pistons. They have differant wrist pin placements.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 AM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

thanks alot for the replys fellaz

Does anyone know the specs on the trw forged pistons? cc size and all

Also, I know ford probably didn't offer it but by any chance does anyone know of stock H beam rods that may have been used? Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be h beams as long as they're strong enuff to handle say 700rwhp.

I know I'll probably have to go aftermarket on that.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by decipha
thanks alot for the replys fellaz

Does anyone know the specs on the trw forged pistons? cc size and all

Also, I know ford probably didn't offer it but by any chance does anyone know of stock H beam rods that may have been used? Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be h beams as long as they're strong enuff to handle say 700rwhp.

I know I'll probably have to go aftermarket on that.
There are a lot of differant options when it comes to pistons as far as compression ratio. Each piston will yeild a differant compression ratio based on bore, stroke combustion chamber size, head gasket thickness and piston volume. You will need to match your piston to the heads you will be using and the octane of fuel you plan to use.

I've never seen a Ford with a stock H-beam rod. I have modified some rods to withstand a good bit of power but would never consider any stock OEM production Ford rod for 700 hp.

My suggestion would be to figure out exactly what you want to do within the budget you can stand and build around that. Keep realistic expectations about what you have and study up on your options. One really good option is to buy a Shortblock already built. In most cases it's cheaper that starting with a old block and trying to build it.

While I don't have any experiance with Woodsy at fordstrokers.com I've heard enough from some of his actual customers to tell you you may want to talk to him about a shortblock.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 PM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

alright i guess i should have stated my purpose from the beginning

I have entered into a contest to make the fastest junkyard warrior. Myself along with 3 other guys have to build the fastest cars we can using as much junkyard parts as possible.

One of the contestants has a 396 from a 69 chevelle.

another guy has an ls1 from an 02 camaro with twin turbos

the other guy has a chevy 305 from an 80 rs camaro

i have a 351w roller from a 95 f250, i already have a edelbrock super victor efi intake, canton 7qt pan, mallory apfr, and and ls1 edelbrock intake elbow. One more aftermarket part and I'm disqualified.

please help guys

Quick Reply: stock forged 4" pistons